Factory Trailer Wiring??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2008, 01:14 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Factory Trailer Wiring???

i have a 96 PSD F-250 and wanted to no did these some times come with a factory wiring harness for trailer hook up my truck has what looks like to be factory but I donít no

Thanks
Watson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2008, 02:51 PM
Emergency Services

i dont know about the factory harness but i DO know there are fuses for the trailer brake/turn signals. one 10A for each side.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Some did come with a factory wiring harness.The plug will either be gray or dk brown.Some are located under the hood on the firewall by the brake booster,while others are located at the bottom of the dash,right above the center trans hump,Kinda were your right leg would be while driving.Wiring for the plug should have a blue=trailer brake feed wire,blk=power supply hot,white=ground,red=brake signal input from brake pedal cold side,,cold side meaning..on those trucks if you splice in the wiring in some of the other locations it will pick up your turn signal feed and cause issues with your trailer brakes.lastly ,if your truck is so wired,it may have a brwn wire,this should be your illumination wire for brake controls with back-ground lighting.Hope this helps.This wiring I have explained is for the brake control only..the wires for the trailer themselves should be located under the bed in the frame-rail.sometimes taped up.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:22 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
my 97 has the factory 7 pin harness at the bumper and the brake controller harness plug under the center of the dash.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:26 AM

Thanks for the pm jbeasts10 as far as looking under the hood and stuff i have not make it that far it looks like I have a 7 RV plug in the back I am going to have to take a pic of this. I am not getting any power to that plug (or I couldnít get the test light to work) for say but the guy that owned the truck seem to tap in to it or something and ended up with a mess of wires put I have power to the 7 point plug on the bumper. Some times my light work on the trailer some times they donít. I am leaning toward a ground issue.

If any of this made since then youíre doing better than me. Put thanks for the input guys
Old 10-13-2008, 05:39 AM
Banned

heres my wireing

Old 10-13-2008, 05:54 AM

those 2 plug you posted look like the ones at the back of the truck that run into the rv plug

as far as the ones under the dash i dont think i have seen those put then agian i didnt no what i was looking for

cool thanks for the pics

EDIT:
Found the plugs under the rear of the truck i have an extra plug also back there I will get pics as soon as my camera gets back home. Also i have the plugs under the dash. So do i have to call Ford to get a factory back control that plugs into those plugs under the dash or what??

Thanks for all the help

Last edited by ComancheThis; 10-13-2008 at 06:06 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The plugs under the dash you have pictured one is for programing door looks, one is for the Ford AIC unit.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

hey all, i was getting ready wire up my break controller yesterday and never really got to it. I was assuming a truck as old as 95 wouldnt have the plugs perintalled. the last pic Jarrod posted is exactily where my plugs are located. they are gray, but one has more pins. looks like they will fit my controller plug exactily. from what i can tell there are 5 pins total i think, 6 pin connector. i was going to post a similar question this morning. so this will be suitable for a controller? it has a 5th wheel ball and holes in the lower dash, so i know its had a controller before. is this correct?

is the three prong plug on the opposite side for the AIC?
Old 10-13-2008, 12:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ono_55 View Post
The plugs under the dash you have pictured one is for programing door looks, one is for the Ford AIC unit.
the schematic i have indicate the plug on the left is for the brake controller and the right i have no idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridiculously_necessary View Post
hey all, i was getting ready wire up my break controller yesterday and never really got to it. I was assuming a truck as old as 95 wouldnt have the plugs perintalled. the last pic Jarrod posted is exactily where my plugs are located. they are gray, but one has more pins. looks like they will fit my controller plug exactily. from what i can tell there are 5 pins total i think, 6 pin connector. i was going to post a similar question this morning. so this will be suitable for a controller? it has a 5th wheel ball and holes in the lower dash, so i know its had a controller before. is this correct?

is the three prong plug on the opposite side for the AIC?
i have to look when i get home from work in a few hours, ill let you know. far as i know, its just the one on the left closest to the gas petal under the dash.

my back wiring has 7 pins 4+3. ford wants 120 for the bumper harness from the plugs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.