OBS question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 10-10-2008, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: OR
Posts: 146
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OBS question

Alright I'll try to get two questions answered in the same thread.

1) Is is normal for start ups that the battery voltage is really low? After about 45 seconds or so it will jmp up to normal but everytime i cold start the truck the meter is always just above the 8 voltage.

2) It takes much longer to start my truck than it used to now and the wait to start light stays on longer. This is also usually just for cold starts too. It might be the weather change too?

97 F250 4x4 AUTO
AFE Stage 2 Intake/ Proguard 7
Trans, Boost, EGT gauges
4" turbo back exhaust to 5" tip
Turbo Timer
Shea97Stroker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 10-10-2008, 03:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
highland512's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ponchatoula, Louisiana
Posts: 987
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Its normal for the volts to stay low for alittle while. It usally takes a little bit before alternator to kick in.

Harder starts come with the colder weather but if it's getting hard to start already you might want to look into glowplugs.

-Matt
'04 350
ZF6
SCT 5015
highland512 is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 10-10-2008, 05:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Soaggydogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 510
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea97Stroker View Post
Alright I'll try to get two questions answered in the same thread.

1) Is is normal for start ups that the battery voltage is really low? After about 45 seconds or so it will jmp up to normal but everytime i cold start the truck the meter is always just above the 8 voltage.

2) It takes much longer to start my truck than it used to now and the wait to start light stays on longer. This is also usually just for cold starts too. It might be the weather change too?

1) The volt meter drops or stays low because the GP relay is on and heating the GP's. When the needle jumps up they shut off. It has nothing to do with the alternator.

2) This isn't even winter or cold so if it is hard starting consider replacing the GP relay and/or checking/replacing the GP's. The relay's are known for going out or not giving proper voltage. The GP's last a long time but you could have a few that don't work.

95 F-250 SC LB 4wd, Super Duty oil dipstick Foil delete and Live Tuned by Tony

02 Excursion, 4wd, H2E, Tapercore, BTS oil, BTS trans, AirDog, Stage 1 injectors and Live Tuned by Tony Wildman oh and Foil delete
Matched Perfect and Staggered Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason
If you don't have this chip, slap yourself. This chip from Tony Wildman is the craziest custom tune ever.
Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was Death... and Hell followed with him
Soaggydogg is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 10-10-2008, 05:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
sldghamr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 2,026
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soaggydogg View Post
1) The volt meter drops or stays low because the GP relay is on and heating the GP's. When the needle jumps up they shut off. It has nothing to do with the alternator.

2) This isn't even winter or cold so if it is hard starting consider replacing the GP relay and/or checking/replacing the GP's. The relay's are known for going out or not giving proper voltage. The GP's last a long time but you could have a few that don't work.

i have a 96er myself, this happens to me even in August in the afternoon when i leave work. GP stay on a lllllooooonnnnnggggg time in the winter.

if you see a light at the end of the tunnel, it's probably just a photon torpedo
sldghamr is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 10-14-2008, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: OR
Posts: 146
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm not sure if its my gp's now because when I tried to start up my truck last night it wouldn't even start. I tried jumping it and got a little power but not enough to start it. The check engine light comes on and theres a clicking noise that occurs when i turn the key. I'm having it towed to a shop today to see whats wrong

97 F250 4x4 AUTO
AFE Stage 2 Intake/ Proguard 7
Trans, Boost, EGT gauges
4" turbo back exhaust to 5" tip
Turbo Timer
Shea97Stroker is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 10-14-2008, 05:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Soaggydogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 510
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea97Stroker View Post
I'm not sure if its my gp's now because when I tried to start up my truck last night it wouldn't even start. I tried jumping it and got a little power but not enough to start it. The check engine light comes on and theres a clicking noise that occurs when i turn the key. I'm having it towed to a shop today to see whats wrong
I am guessing since you are in Oregon temps are getting to 30 at night?

If your GP relay goes bad you can take a screwdriver or pliers and jump the two large terminals on the relay. This will operate the GP's and will at least get the truck started. You only want to jump the terminals for 2-3 minutes, do not walk away and leave them jumpered.

95 F-250 SC LB 4wd, Super Duty oil dipstick Foil delete and Live Tuned by Tony

02 Excursion, 4wd, H2E, Tapercore, BTS oil, BTS trans, AirDog, Stage 1 injectors and Live Tuned by Tony Wildman oh and Foil delete
Matched Perfect and Staggered Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason
If you don't have this chip, slap yourself. This chip from Tony Wildman is the craziest custom tune ever.
Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was Death... and Hell followed with him
Soaggydogg is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 10-14-2008, 10:56 PM
Emergency Services
 
metallitera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas!
Posts: 747
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soaggydogg View Post
1) The volt meter drops or stays low because the GP relay is on and heating the GP's. When the needle jumps up they shut off. It has nothing to do with the alternator.
I thought our alternators were PCM controlled and did NOT produce power to the vehicle until the GPs went off b/c anything above 12VDC to the GPs would burn them up.

-ReD

Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic, Tinkerer

1990 Jeep Wrangler YJ
metallitera is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome