common problems with 1994 psd - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2008, 04:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
common problems with 1994 psd

I understand 1994 was the first year of the turbo 7.3.I'm usaully leary of 1st year production items , but I'm looking @ a 1994 f350 4 door psd auto 192000miles.My question is are there any common problems with this model year. thank you for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2008, 04:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

just the cps thing i think. thats a recalled item now though. a friend of mine had a 97 and when it got to 275k or so miles everything was going on it like every week. oil leaks, injectors, heater core, something with the turbo. i have 154k on a 2000 f 350 which isn't too much different from the 94s i don't think. my truck has only been through 1 transmission, 1 cps, and lots of routine maintenance. they are reliable for a long time.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:30 PM

I believe the 94 - 97 were pretty much the same engine (maybe a few different things here and there but pretty much the same) and if taken care of properly they are very reliable. But in 1994 the had 2 different engines i believe, in 94.5 they had the powerstroke, so make sure it is a powerstroke if that's what you want.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:35 PM

common problems with the 7.3 PSD in general:

1. CPS - cheap fix at the Ford dealer, $30
2. Under Valve Cover Wiring harness
3. ICP/IDM - ICP can be bought at Ford or IH only, the IDM is a Ford only item because of program differences with the IH version.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDougall View Post
I believe the 94 - 97 were pretty much the same engine (maybe a few different things here and there but pretty much the same) and if taken care of properly they are very reliable. But in 1994 the had 2 different engines i believe, in 94.5 they had the powerstroke, so make sure it is a powerstroke if that's what you want.
How can I tell the difference between power stroke and non psd. Also what is ICP/IDM refer to. thanks for information.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:54 PM
Emergency Services

Send a message via AIM to Fireman5606
easy way to tell if you see fuel lines and injectors in the intake it is a 7.3 turbo In-direct injection. If it is a powerstroke it will have a small wiring harness going in the intake side of both valve covers. As for the 94 PSD I have owned one for almost 10 years and it has 282,000+ miles on it. the only problems I have had is the cam position sensor, and the high pressure oil lines that run down the intake side of the valve covers.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGateFarm View Post
How can I tell the difference between power stroke and non psd. Also what is ICP/IDM refer to. thanks for information.
ICP is a sensor that tells the computer what the oil pressure is going to the injectors.

IDM = injector driver module. there are two boxes for the computer, one being the IDM. it has direct control over the injectors.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:44 PM

i have a 94 no problems the cpu is a little diffrent but that is about it i like mine about as much as the 06 kingranch. lol it is not as nice to ride around town in lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.