Air Intakes and MPG went somewhere, but not up - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-30-2008, 05:14 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Johnson City
Posts: 64
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Air Intakes and MPG went somewhere, but not up

I am looking at putting on a air intake (cold air box) on my 97, 7.3. I am kinda on a budget at this point, but I need to get better mileage. What type of box does this forum recommend using? I have used a K&N filter on another truck, but really didn't notice a difference on the mileage. Also my fuel mileage just went to hell and I cant figure out why. I was getting 16 on avg, but now I am getting about 12. Running the same brand fuel, from the same station, same pump (since they only have one pump). No problems with the truck, nothing changed but just the weather cooled down about 10 degrees. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 09-30-2008, 05:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 20,361
Thanks: 23
Thanked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthayer View Post
I am looking at putting on a air intake (cold air box) on my 97, 7.3. I am kinda on a budget at this point, but I need to get better mileage. What type of box does this forum recommend using? I have used a K&N filter on another truck, but really didn't notice a difference on the mileage. Also my fuel mileage just went to hell and I cant figure out why. I was getting 16 on avg, but now I am getting about 12. Running the same brand fuel, from the same station, same pump (since they only have one pump). No problems with the truck, nothing changed but just the weather cooled down about 10 degrees. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
could it have been the switch from ULSD to LSD? everyone saw MPG decrease with the switch...

i would take off the K&N... if your on a budget do the DIY intake kit... if you want to spend a lil more do a S&B intake kit....

-Raul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 09-30-2008, 05:32 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Johnson City
Posts: 64
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The drop in MPG happened just in the last month, so it cant be the switch from LSD to ULSD. I just cant figure out what happened to it. Kinda pisses me off since I was getting about 260 miles to 200 miles on my front tank of fuel. Also would it be worth while to go from a 4 inch exhaust to a 5 or 6 inch? The cons I can see would having to get a new muffler and catalytic converter. The local DOT officers can be real pricks about everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 09-30-2008, 05:39 PM
Shade tree mechanic


 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lake Tapps, Wa.
Posts: 8,286
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
checked your fuel filter lately?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 09-30-2008, 05:51 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Johnson City
Posts: 64
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I change my fuel filter out every 3 months. I changed it out today, but the old one was not real dirty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 09-30-2008, 05:56 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Johnson City
Posts: 64
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I use NAPA Gold filters in every vehicle and every piece of equipment we own. I have never had a problem with them. Never had one come apart on me like other brands. BTW I only run chevron fuel and oil in this truck and Schaffer's Diesel Treat and every once in a while the Lucas fuel treatment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 01-18-2009, 05:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i am fixing to buy a banks monster exhaust kit for my 97 psd. does any one know if it hooks to the factory cat or does it have a delete pipe? if it has a delete pipe how do you get it to pass emissions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 01-18-2009, 05:24 PM
scuffs *****

 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Oakwood, OH
Posts: 5,257
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Tyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthayer View Post
The drop in MPG happened just in the last month, so it cant be the switch from LSD to ULSD. I just cant figure out what happened to it. Kinda pisses me off since I was getting about 260 miles to 200 miles on my front tank of fuel. Also would it be worth while to go from a 4 inch exhaust to a 5 or 6 inch? The cons I can see would having to get a new muffler and catalytic converter. The local DOT officers can be real pricks about everything.
You have not Cat. cuold just be cold weather causing the bad MPGS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 01-18-2009, 05:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 20,361
Thanks: 23
Thanked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTEpsd View Post
i am fixing to buy a banks monster exhaust kit for my 97 psd. does any one know if it hooks to the factory cat or does it have a delete pipe? if it has a delete pipe how do you get it to pass emissions?
why buy a banks exhaust? they are overpriced IMO... you can get the same quality for less....

and most OBS exhaust kits do not have space for a factory cat....

-Raul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 01-18-2009, 07:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Doylestown
Posts: 512
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTEpsd View Post
i am fixing to buy a banks monster exhaust kit for my 97 psd. does any one know if it hooks to the factory cat or does it have a delete pipe? if it has a delete pipe how do you get it to pass emissions?
Start your own thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors