Battery discharges - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2008, 04:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Battery discharges

I'm new to this sight, and I have 2 F-350 Powerstroke's a '97 7.3, and a '06 6.0, here we go with my favorite first!!! My '97 F-350 Power Stroke is discharging slowly overnight. Eventually I have to charge it. I had the batteries checked O.K. the alt. is putting out 14V, there is an 8V discharge when it is not running, I understand it should not be over 4V. I read where you disconect both negative cables from the batt, and put a test light between the post and neg cable, and if it is bright there is a short, and remove fuses one at a time until the light gets dim. I did it, and when I had gone through all the fuses, nothing happened and I'm looking at the test light, and it starts pulsating, and then it stopped and was dimmer. I believe it might have to do with the glow plug relay. Lately when you turn the key on by the count of 3, the wait light goes off and it is hard to start, and a lot of white smoke when it starts. where is the relay, and how do I test it??? Does anybody have any other ideas???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2008, 09:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would suggest going back and redoing the test with a dc meter set to milliamp scale. Using a test light is not going to give you accurate results IMHO. You need to be looking for parasitic power draw from the batteries. IIRC anything over 80-100 milliamps is considered to be parasitic. Do you have an alarm on the truck? Any other afternarket accessories that have power draw with key off? Your radio and some electronic equipment obviously has keep alive memory that will draw when the truck is off. Make sure all interior lights go off,,i.e. glove box , courtesy lights etc. With an actual milliamp reading you will be better able to assess what is going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.