Lighting woes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2014, 05:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lighting woes

I drive 95% of the time at night. Some of this is on really DARK back country roads. Lighting is and has always been an important issue in my vehicles. This thing is just not cutting it. My stock lenses where pretty fogged and with the stock bulbs it was hard to light the road. I swapped them for a 6k heat 35w hid set up. While better still very sub par. I swapped out the lenses for a clear set. They need to be adjusted but still not even as bright as most stock newer vehicles. Now my lenses are smoked (at the time I couldnt find any clear non halo units) but its still pretty disappointing.
I read on here about people wiring the lights thru relays and to the battery? Anyone have good results? My next step is going to be some LED driving lights I guess. Any suggestions before I start adding lights

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2014, 05:05 AM

Attached Thumbnails
Lighting woes-1389276323490.jpg   Lighting woes-1389276343886.jpg   Lighting woes-1389276354638.jpg  
Old 01-09-2014, 05:16 AM

Not sure the smoked color is helping. For a stock type light Sylvana Silverstars have always been my go to light. A fair amount brighter than a stock type bulb and a nice crisp light. I'm not sure what is in my truck. But the lights are nice and bright.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:33 AM

By "6k" do you mean 6000 Kelvins? Looks to be, from the color of the lights. Those blue-ish lights produce less usable light. Get Silverstar Ultras (same color temp as the Silverstars, but more power) or the equivalent. As for a color temperature, go for the 4000K-5000K range, that's the closest to a full white. Any color temp above that actually produces less light.

And if those are true HIDs, not just the ricer bulbs they CALL "HID", then without projector housings, you're not only losing most of your light, you're endangering other drivers.

You should also consider some auxiliary road lighting. perhaps mounted in the holes of the bumper.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:18 AM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I got some clear ones I'd trade ya straight up since I'm smoking all my lights and haven't done the headlights yet

Although Cary makes some very sweet looking hid/projector lights for our truck, not cheap but very easy and very nice looking
Old 01-09-2014, 06:42 AM

Can you do me a favor and take a new pic a few feet back?

Lol. I really like the look of these lenses and they will look great when I get her painted. I need to adjust them up. And I think im picking up an LED light bar for added light. I just wish for driving purposes I could get a little more from them

They are actual HIDS. This is the 5th set ive bought from my distributer and these do appear more blue than the rest of them. I really hate the way the halos look on these rigs (or all of them ive seen on fleebay anyway) but trust me they are in no way a danger to anyone right now.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:25 AM

If they're not in projector housings, they're a danger, by definition. As mentioned, Cary's product (search CT performance) is a true projector. Aesthetics are fine to consider, AFTER public safety and sufficient lighting for the driver.

Bottom line - HID bulbs, over 5000K, in reflector housings, are a recipe (and an explanation) for cr@ppy forward lighting.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:40 PM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i have used the relay method. i did it because i was melting headlight switches. if there is an increase in light output it is minimal
vandy likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to terryknight For This Useful Post:
vandy (01-09-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 02:07 PM

Well crap. I ordered a new toy today but its "offroad" only

Old 01-09-2014, 02:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I used the RJM (I think that's the right letters) for the harness. Made a huge difference in light output. Too bad the closed doors. I know Cary sells a kit that does the same thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.