I need help with my wiring harness. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2013, 02:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I need help with my wiring harness.

I'm a newb, but I need help bad...

I purchased a 1997 Cali 7.3 E40D 2WD Crew Cab a couple months ago that had a light engine fire (leaking fuel bowl). I've got it pieced together but my concern is the the pinouts on the harness. The number on the burnt harness is F7tb121581 -cg p260f. I got a harness from a guy that said it was off a 96 but didn't know if it was cali or not and it doesn't have a ID tag. I would like to get a pinout on my truck, as well as a federal and cali 96 to verify my wiring.

Does anyone have access to this or know where I can get this information?

I did some reading, and apparently my harness did come in some 96 models, so this could be one of them.

Or, if someone has an extra harness with the same number as mine that they'd be willing to part with let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2013, 08:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Tony,

Check your PMs and email. Before using the stuff I sent, you need to look at the PCM and see if it is a DPC-202 (1996 Cali's would use this) or a DPC-312 (1997 Cali's would use this). I'm assuming you have an automatic transmission here. If it is a DPC-312, for something like this the best bet is to purchase an Electrical and Vacuum Trouble Shooting Manual (EVTM) for a 1997. I recommend getting one anyway if you just plan to keep the truck! The 1996 Cali (DPC-202) wiring is the same as the Federal. Hope this helps. Cheers!
The Following User Says Thank You to Patrick Feeley For This Useful Post:
1badgsd (01-05-2014)
Old 12-30-2013, 11:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You've been a great help. Thank you so much.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Does anyone know about the glow plug circuit. I know that folks are going from cali to federal and I guess the glow plug circuits aren't of concern, but what about doing the opposite? Am I going to get a CEL not having those. I don't even think they exist on this harness, perhaps I can add it?
Old 01-05-2014, 08:39 AM

You can't add the GPR monitoring circuit unless you are going to run (or already have) a DPC-312 97 Cali PCM. Is that what you are going to run, but trying to use an earlier harness? In that case you would have to re-pin the PCM connector and add the appropriate wires (and shunt) for the GPR Monitoring circuit. I've lost the bubble on what you are attempting here, but if I already had a Cali (splitshot) truck that was running a DPC-202 (MIF-series code), I'd probably be jumping for joy! Cheers!
Old 01-05-2014, 10:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a dpc-312 pcm, and am running a 96 harness.

Does anybody have pictures of this shunt or where I can purchase it?

Side question, the pcm says remanufactured on a factory ford logo, did ford update these to make them less venerable to failure? Truck actually caught fire and I am hoping the wires burning didn't fry my pcm :/.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, so after research, it looks like the shunt splits the wires into a right and left bank, with a sensor wire on each side. Do these wires go straight to the pcm?
Old 01-05-2014, 04:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Took me a while, but I got this figured out. Going to add the circuits I need incorporating the fusible links that the factory had (took me a while as it was so burnt).
Old 01-05-2014, 04:51 PM

They do run straight to the PCM, although they go through connector C138 (42-pin connector on the driver's side of the engine bay that also has the injector wiring in it). Cheers!
Old 02-13-2014, 05:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Still working on this. I got the truck running, but the throttle will not work. Truck pulled up to the spot it caught fire at so I would find it coincidental that the power take off switch went bad. I am chasing my tail on the transmission harness. I have the pinouts for the 1997, but:

If somone can get me the pinouts for all the plugs on the E40d trans off a 1996, or even 1997 for that matter (just to verify my data). I would be very grateful.

Is this something that alldatadiy would have on it (I need the location of each pin and what it runs on both years)

Thanks so much, this is really holding things up for me. I have verified function of pcm and it works fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.