Opinions on plow truck - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2013, 11:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Opinions on plow truck

havent been on here in a long time - i have a 95 ext cab 2wd auto, dually, that is currently living in the driveway cause i need to catch up on a few things with it, and i dont even drive it since i have a honda also.i dont think im ready to sell it, even though that would make all this much easier. i may have a real opportunity to plow snow at an airport, its $25/hr to operate their vehicles, but its $75/hr if you can bring your own truck, and you are literally able to work as long you want if they want people there.. its NOT uncommon for some guys to stay there and work 24 - 35 hours with taking short naps in between.. ( thats besides the point). i would be taking vacation time off my regular job, so id be making my regular salary in addition to this.

anyway - im seriously considering picking up another truck just for this, cause im really not liking the idea of using my person truck thats an automatic.. good money can be quickly outweighed when you have a $4,000 transmission to replace. so i started looking around, and this is what ive found, and leaning towards

i found an 89 f-250 with the 7.3 idi, 4x4, manual locking hubs, manual transmission, reg cab, long bed with 8' plow and only 83,000 miles. body looks pretty straight in the pictures, interior condition is unknown but how bad can it really be.. asking price is $3,800.. my thinking is this - its non-turbo so theres less stuff to break, just being a more simple motor. ( my 95 cost me over 2 grand just to replace the turbo). injectors are dirt cheap if it were to ever need them, and the manual trans should outlast any automatic.. assuming the truck has no other issues like front end stuff, or any major rust - im having a hard time finding a reason to not pursue this idea.. it doesnt need to be fast. it just needs to be able to start, drive, and push.. does anyone disagree that the 89 would be worth looking into? the plow system alone would prob cost me 1500 used, and id still have to install it if i used my dually. ALSO - airport is willing to let the truck be parked on site during winter months, and they also provide fuel if its a diesel.. thoughts anyone??

i know enough about the 7.3 PS to get by, but not a whole lot about the 7.3 idi.. and i wrong to think its a more simple and reliable engine that would cost less to fix and maintain normally? only thing ive really seen is people talking about the additive in the coolant to prevent pitting on the cylinder walls, but again, with only 83,000 miles its not in the same situation as most truck that year. any advice is welcome

just to add, its huge parking lots that would be plowed, not residential stuff. so its not like youd spend the entire time shifting gears like you were doig drieways - cause i know some plow guys hate manual transmissions. this truck would also be working along with front end loaders with the snow pusher on them... so its doesnt need to be a total snow beast.

Last edited by kctyphoon; 12-26-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2013, 11:56 PM
allergic to hot weather

Send a message via AIM to 95and05 Send a message via MSN to 95and05
I prefer to plow with manual transmission behind a diesel.

My IDI has been very reliable and I think would make a good plow truck but it likes to be plugged in in the winter.
You will need to plan on checking all clutch components before really relying on the truck for commercial use though.

I would definitely look into the truck and really go through it before you buy it just to be as sure as you can it will be reliable.

Also on a different note.. throw a row of sandbags between the wheel wells, it helps with the heaver wet snow.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 12-26-2013, 11:56 PM

I would say go for it and get the IDI. In my experience with snow plowing, I like autos just for the fact I tend to be more relaxed when I am not shifting constantly. But if its a good sized lot then I think you will be good with a manual. I have found that you dont have do slip the clutch most times, as you can kind of just dump the clutch and let the tires slip for a second.
As far as starting, the IDI s will start just fine as long as you have a good glow plug system.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:24 AM

I used to own a 7.3idi once that thing started better than my ps because it was mech and didn't need oil to actuate injectors 2 cycles of glow plugs and it would fire in -10 actual temp

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-27-2013, 05:59 PM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
the idi is a great motor. any reason you don't want a gasser? i have a PSD 5 speed as a plow truck i would rather plow with an auto. then again i have some tight spaces to plow
Old 12-28-2013, 02:47 PM

from what im told (and i will have to do a bit more asking), they will supply diesel fuel. they have their own heavy equipment they use to plow also, and they send out fuel trucks to refuel them and whoever else is there plowing. a friend of mine is one of supervisors there and he has a king ranch dually they fill up for him when hes there for snow (both tanks too)

im still on the fence with this.. cause its money i was planning on using to redo my driveway come spring, and id have to keep the 3rd truck with me at home for 3 seasons a year..

im kicking myself in the *** cause the first f350 i bought came with a commercial grade plow and had a brand new jasper 351 in it. only had the truck for a few months cause i found my dually and HAD to have it.. sold the plow truck and forced te buyer to take the plow cause neither one of us wanted it.. lol
Old 12-28-2013, 05:23 PM

It is fine for a plow truck. Bust some more things to consider

Do you need PLOW insurance?

IS there a lot of forward and backward or do you drive in circles?

Does the plow size come into play when pay rate is concerned?

Do they supply the fuel for FREE? or they just can supply it and it comes off your hourly rate?

Also, taxes out of that $75 an hour? If so, enough hours puts you in HIGHER tax bracket
Old 01-01-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_brad View Post
It is fine for a plow truck. Bust some more things to consider

Do you need PLOW insurance?

IS there a lot of forward and backward or do you drive in circles?

Does the plow size come into play when pay rate is concerned?

Do they supply the fuel for FREE? or they just can supply it and it comes off your hourly rate?

Also, taxes out of that $75 an hour? If so, enough hours puts you in HIGHER tax bracket
from what im told -

no, you dont need any special insurance - just regular liability and they (the plowing comany) covers the rest. really they make out better that way if you think about it, cause they dont have to purchase and maintain all the equipment if you bring your own, and you are more likely to be carefull with it since you own it yourself.

nobody has ever mentioned anything about plow size, and i would think "no" since were talking about light duty trucks and nothing huge here. they want people there 4 hours before expected snowfall, so you are waiting around regardless, (at smaller scale) until they send you out, and then are kept till well after the storm has passed to make sure everything it clean. so i dont think they are worriend about a few bucks difference between a 7.5' or 10' plow. im sure they wont let you work with some b.s. toy of a plow though.

yes they will supply diesel fuel for free. if you have a gasser you are on your own. plowing company has to fill their own heavy equipment and secures fuel trucks to re-supply as the hours tick by. the longer you work, the more money they make too.. its Newark Airport - so im sure they are happy to pay and keep their own money coming it too.

yes taxes are held, but im not 100% sure if the higher tax bracket is an issue for me right now.

since my friend is a supervisor, and my partner at work is also a regular there working under the same supervisor, they are trying to get me pulled into his crew. thats a good thing for me right now, as they have an extra front end loader that never gets used at the area they work in. since i already have a CDL i can drive that if they can get me in there. the snow company called people this afternoon and want people there for 2pm tomorrow - so im gonna go and see how that works out.

im re-thinking the whole plow thing though - just cause if i just go and beat up their own stuff, its $25 an hour profit , and if i buy a $3,000 truck its really only the extra $50 an hour going towards paying for the truck and upkeep (minus taxes of course) i already have one truck sitting in my driveway that needs work, no sure if i want 2 lol..

ill have to take sort of a "driving test" on the front end loader , which ive never driven before in my life, so they can make sure im not a total moron.. as long as my friend can get me in the thing and play with it for 20 minutes im sure ill be ok with it. i operate a digger derrick at work everyday so this cant be so hard. hopefully ill get some more questions answered tomorrow.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctyphoon View Post
im re-thinking the whole plow thing though - just cause if i just go and beat up their own stuff, its $25 an hour profit , and if i buy a $3,000 truck its really only the extra $50 an hour going towards paying for the truck and upkeep (minus taxes of course) i already have one truck sitting in my driveway that needs work, no sure if i want 2 lol..

VERY GOOD THINKING THERE.

ill have to take sort of a "driving test" on the front end loader , which ive never driven before in my life, so they can make sure im not a total moron.. as long as my friend can get me in the thing and play with it for 20 minutes im sure ill be ok with it. i operate a digger derrick at work everyday so this cant be so hard. hopefully ill get some more questions answered tomorrow.
Do you work for a power company? Or verizon?
Old 01-02-2014, 07:23 PM

15 years of plowing and this is my first winter without a plow besides my ATV.

Best advise I can give is NEVER buy a truck just to plow. If your income depends in it, then that's another story. But it sounds like your gainfully employed. I would take the $25 an hour and run. No maintenance, no mid night runs to parts store to get something running, no head aches. Burn down their cutting edges, their fuel, let them replace u joints ball joints, hydraulic hoses, brake lines, clutches, transmissions etc.. Im so glad to be done with owning a plow truck!!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.