Front Fuel Tank Problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2013, 01:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Front Fuel Tank Problem

New to the forum here, just picked up a '96 7.3, extended cab long bed for plowing this winter. Bought the truck, immediately filled both tanks, and drove it about 30 miles home, running it on the rear tank the whole trip.
--First problem: Fuel gauge doesn't read anything for the front fuel tank
--Second Problem: Noticed a slight fuel leak when i first parked it over night, from the front tank.

So the truck sat for a couple months, wouldn't start, replaced IDM, CPS, and GPR, and had the truck parked in the garage last night to diagnose some electrical plow issues, idling the truck at times, on the rear tank.

--Problem Three: Came out to do some more wiring diagnostics, and I probably have 4-5 gallons of fuel on the floor of the garage. I checked it out, and it appears to be coming from the top of the tank towards the front of the truck. The fuel selector switch module next to the front tank appears to be pretty dry, but the entire skid plate is soaked and dripping pretty consistently. tank was full, just filled it, and it took maybe 2 days while the vehicle was parked for the truck to even start leaking. There was zero leaks yesterday, the truck had not been started since i left it yesterday, but today there's a giant puddle.

Sorry for the long story there but I know a lot of guys here are pretty picky on the details, so there you have it.

Any thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2013, 01:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I just went thru the same problem with leaking tanks .Front went first and then the rear tank .They say debris gathers between the skid plates and tanks causing the leaks .
I got my replacement tanks and straps from Rock Auto ,they're made by Spectra and pretty good quality .
My rear tank had begun to leak on my garage floor and when I made the decision to replace I drilled a hole in the tank to reclaim that precious fuel .
Old 12-23-2013, 06:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I had leaking problems as well but mine came from the selector valve. When I swapped out the valve I dropped the front tank and checked for rust and resealed everything. New O ring for the pickup new grommet for the roll over valve and rust proof paint on the outside because there was hardly any rust and no junk inside. This is a good chance to do the vent mod. I did the same on the rear tank and found a "just about" hole so I replaced my rear tank with a 39 gal out of a Bronco.

I think that at the age of these trucks things are drying out and rusting so it is easier and cheaper in the long run just to take it apart and fix what needs fixing and seal up the rest. No more fuel storage problems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.