electric fuel pump on 7.3idi - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2013, 05:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
electric fuel pump on 7.3idi

have an older 7.3 idi i'm posting this question here as there aren't alot of viewers in that forum and i'm hoping someone has some input. Its losing prime after sitting maybe the check valve in the mechanical fuel pump is bad or a hole in the line? anyway some people have told me they've put in an inline electric fuel pump to solve the problem has anyone ever done this? basically put it in the line before the engine and mechanical pump....flip a switch to prime the system before starting......start it up and then you can turn it off and the engine will run fine from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2013, 09:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Might work, why not just eliminate the mechanical pump and use the electric pump?
Old 12-21-2013, 09:23 AM

I have looked into it in the past, you can use a block off plate from a big block chevy to block off the hole that the mechanical pump was in, so just eliminate that, and why not just leave the pump running? Also, you do not need very much pressure, so it should not require a regulator of any sort. Really it's pretty simple, just time consuming.
Check out oiburners.com, as they are big on the IDIs and have a few e fuel write ups.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:42 AM

I would replace the mechanical pump. I wont put on an electric pump on my truck, mechanical pumps are more reliable and tend to last longer than an electric pump. Or for the most part I trust mechanical stuff more than electric.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:31 PM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
we had the problem in our old 6.9 there were a few leaks in the return system.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryknight View Post
we had the problem in our old 6.9 there were a few leaks in the return system.
what terry said. iirc most auto parts stores carry the kit, about 75 bucks to do the return lines on the tops of the injectors. I was not even thinking about that

dirtcrew- I agree, I like simple mechanical, but really, buy a quality e pump, and it will last you years.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for the input....mechanical pump works when you get it running and will prime up the system eventually but there is a leak somewhere so after it sits for a little bit it loses its prime again and is a pain in the ars to start. we have a clear line at the injector pump to know if it has fuel or air in the line and after sitting that line goes bone dry nothing in it.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:32 AM

Im sure That it works when It is running, but that engine was designed to have a lift pump in full working order, and to aid it on start up with a e pump will not fix anything. Ask anybody, when a 7.3 idi is in correct working order, they will fire almost instantly with a mechanical pump. I would just replace it and be done with it. Remember, International recommended that the IP and injectors be replaced every 100k miles, and the lift pump wears out too.

Now for the air in fuel, I do not know if there is a check valve or not but I could look into it,however right now all of our IDIs are starting great. I would go ahead and replace the return lines, can not at all hurt, and just 75 $.

Whatever you do, do not get an airtex mech pump, as most of the time they are bad out of the box.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for the input i'll replace those return lines and see if thats where its losing its prime...when it was primed it fired right up its pretty mutch a losing fuel problem and then taking to long to get primed up again by then batteries are weak. once its running has no problems runs mint. Any links to buy the return line kit online?
Old 01-16-2014, 09:22 AM

Let me google that for you

haha just could not pass that up. I do not know the quality of some of those, i would just go with whoever gives you a good sales spiel lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.