Another no Start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2013, 07:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another no Start

Hey guys, great site here. Ive spent many hours lately combing through all the materials here.
I wish I could post under more favourable conditions, however....
I bought a 96 F250 8 days ago, seemed like a good buy, just rolled over 400,000km but ran like a champ. PO replaced a bunch of stuff before I picked it up.
Anyways, on saturday I had an issue with the truck not cranking. I spent 2-3 hours in a parking lot with no tools trying to figure it out. Ended up being the big wire to the starter terminal was corroded, but i cycled the key many, many times before it started. Got her running and home, went for another drive later on, everything was good.
Tonight I go to start it up, and she cranks, but won't run or even sputter.
White smoke comes out of the tail pipe, and under the hood (near the turbo I think). The tach does bounce when it cranks, so CPS is down the list for now.

After looking up some things on here, i pulled the fuel filter, which was black, and replaced it. I noticed the bowl was about 1/2 full, so i drained an inch out and put a new filter in.
I cranked the motor again, and the level in the bowl went even lower.
I seem to recall there normally being a fuel pump priming noise when turning the key to "ON", which is no longer present.

All fuses are good, with power on each side. Oil is good, and up to proper level. Ive also tried cranking with both tanks, one is half full, the other is about 1/8th. I can hear the selector valve working when i rock the switch as well. WTS light operates as it always has, I'm also confident my glow plugs are good, as she starts at -22C without being plugged in (won't happen again...)

As I'm new-ish to diesel's, I'm still trying to work out how the fuel system works in this truck. I know the motor has a mech. pump, is there also an electric pump on each tank as well?
I don't have access to a known-good IDM, I'd have to buy a new one, or try my luck at the scrap yard.

What else am I missing??

Thanks in Advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2013, 07:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The "priming" sound was more than likely your GPR. Fuel system stock on your truck is mechanical.
Honestly gut feeling is you put a hurting on your batteries when you had the first no start and they just don't have the juice to get the job done.
Mine crapped out on me a while back also. I was swearing up and down they where good. One was bad. If your use to gassers it would seem like your batteries are good. But even with it cranking and everything working they could still be bad. I'd start there

Does plugging it in help?
How many rpm are showing when you crank her. Iirc it should be 200 or more

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 12-17-2013, 08:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well after I had the no-crank issue, I probably drove another 80km at highway speed, that would be enough to recharge them, no? Especially with a new alternator?
I'll put them on a charger anyways...
I should have also added that I put a half can of seafoam in each tank... Could that have jammed something up?
The GPR is working, that's usually a "click" isn't it? This noise I heard before was more of a 1 sec buzzing....
Old 12-17-2013, 08:44 PM

Possible. I'd get them tested either way. Make sure if you do it in the truck they are disconnected.

I wouldn't worry about the seafoam

Search for the gpr ops check thread. Just because it clicks on doesn't mean it's putting out the right power. It should kick on for 2 min at maybe 12v iirc

Old 12-18-2013, 04:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

That makes sense, I cycled the key on-off enough times to kill it probably...
What's with the white smoke from under the hood though??
Old 12-18-2013, 04:44 AM

Could have an exhaust leak? Start it with the hood up. Hop out and check it out

Old 12-18-2013, 05:04 AM

Definitely check your batteries I swore mine were good, even had them tested multiple times, throw a charger on both to get them charged all the way up Then try starting, These powerstroke take a lot if juice to start. Cold temps show how good your batteries really are. If batteries are turning it over fast enough with enough volts then test your gpr. Just because it clicks don't mean it's working.

Last edited by 95sorensonOBS; 12-18-2013 at 05:08 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:19 AM

Pop the hood, turn the key to RUN, and LOOK under the hood BEFORE trying to start it. That smoke might be from UVCH / GP wires burning up during the glow plug run time.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:25 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
You need to check fuel pressure, based on how you said your bowl was close to empty im gonna guess the fuel pump died on you and i wanna say its the seafoam...i dont know how i feel about that stuff, only thing that i feel you need in your tank is diesel and maybe diesel kleen white in the winter. But not starting a p***ing match about it.

Read this and it will tell you everything you need to know Diagnosing a 7.3 no start
Old 12-18-2013, 08:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Both UVCH and glowplugs have been changed recently, PO showed me the old ones. However, there is no smoke until I crank it for several seconds.
I just wanna get some clarification on this fuel system... There's a mechanical pump driven by the motor, sucking fuel from the tank, and sending it to the bowl right?
So is the bowl full and pressurized normally? Or does the fuel just fall into the injectors using gravity?
The truck is using fuel when it cranks, so perhaps that's where the smoke is coming from? The bowl just isn't being refilled...

Another question, is there a book or Haynes manual that will put all this info into one spot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.