HPOP reservoir empty - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2013, 08:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HPOP reservoir empty

Hi Guys, I could use a little help with my latest problem. This past summer I didn't drive my truck ('96 7.3) for about 2 weeks. When I tried to start it...no go. Discovered the high-pressure oil pump reservoir was empty. Filled it, she fired right up. Now (in the cold Wisconsin winter) with regular driving she starts fantastic (It's plugged in on cold nights). After about 10-15 seconds it dies. She'll fire up again and run for about 5 seconds the 2nd time and die. It runs shorter with every try until it just turns over with no fire. Reason being...the HPOP reservoir is empty again. I can usually get it going by filling it back up again but I can't keep going like this. Have any of you experienced or heard of a problem like this before? I would appreciate any thoughts as to what the problem is and what repair needs to be made. Thanks Dale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2013, 08:34 AM
over thinking everything

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'd suspect the lpop is going out
Old 12-17-2013, 10:44 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Watch out filling the HPOP res to get it going. The oil makes its way back into the oil pan. If you're not careful you could overfill the crankcase by a lot. I remember a thread a while back where a guy bought a truck for his son with this exact problem. He did the LPOP and all was well.

Good luck!
Old 12-17-2013, 11:11 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Get a real cheap gauge 1/8 npt gauge and hose with a 1/4" nptm fitting on the end and install it on your hpop reservoir where the inspection port is and start the truck and watch the pressure while running, it should be ~50 psi at idle and up to 100 while revving.

Then find the port down by the oil cooler, its right where the trans meets the engine, its a 4 sided male head plug(not the ones on the block with a female hole and not the one on the cooler directly) that is 1/8 npt. Move the gauge there and read that pressure while running and it should have about the same reading as the top side. Just be quick because that port will leak oil once its open so just be quick and you will be fine.

If it is the same reading then yes chances are you have a bad lpop but if they are different then you just maybe losing pressure somewhere. Its a cheap check before buying a new lpop and going through putting a new one if you dont actually need it

Edit: and yes what he said ^^ id check your oil level before you do anything else if youve filled it multiple times
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.