Seafoam in your diesel fuel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 05:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Seafoam in your diesel fuel

So, I have been of the thinking that Seafoam is pretty much an Old Wives Tale type of product for the most part. IMO, it claimed to do more for you that it would really do. I've used it on upper intakes of worked 22re motors, and some others, but never got real world results out of it.

Until now.

My truck is a 1994 F350, 7.3L PSD, CC, DRW, and I keep my 100gal transfer tank full in the fall/winter for added weight when it snows (its a 2wd). I average around 14mpg in it. Last week, I was in Oreilly's to grab some anti-gel stuff for my diesel. I religiously use Power Service Diesel Kleen additive, but they were out of the white bottles that day. So, I looked at the Seafoam and decided to use it for my old 7.3L Powerstroke as it had some anti-gel properties for the fuel and says its "safe".

****I would not use this in a common rail system as I have no idea if it will hurt it or not****

All I can say is WOW. I track every tank and calculate mileage. My truck has two tanks. Best I have ever gotten out of my rear tank was 220mi, but on my normal commute to/from my shop I get 200mi to a tank. Been this way since I got the truck. I immediately noticed a difference on the rear tank. Getting 240mi out of it this time. And, the front tank is doing the same. I currently sit at 400mi with 1/2 of the front tank still to go.

Plain and simple is that it crushed my normal mileage that I normally get. I bet I am seeing a 2mpg difference if not more. Nothing has changed in my everyday driving either. There hasn't been anymore hwy than street or anything like that with these tanks. So, I know its the Seafoam.

Also, my injectors were rebuilt by Rosewood less than a year ago, so I know they are in good shape as well.

I doubt I will use it for every tank at $7.99/can, but we'll see how things change with my next tank as I will go back to the Power Service again. Maybe it just cleaned out the entire injection system. But, I can honestly say now that the stuff actually works, and works well. Even at $7.99/can, I am saving money with the increased mileage with diesel at $3.69/gallon here in CO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2013, 05:34 AM

Ill have to try it out. I've used it in other vehicles but not my truck. I typically get 580ish to a full 2 tanks. My last fill up was just over 600. If this nets me more I may use it on a long trip
Old 11-03-2013, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandy View Post
Ill have to try it out. I've used it in other vehicles but not my truck. I typically get 580ish to a full 2 tanks. My last fill up was just over 600. If this nets me more I may use it on a long trip
I can only dream of mileage like that. My truck is 8500lbs with 4.10s.

You must be skimming every drop out of each tank. 3.55s in your truck?
Old 11-03-2013, 05:55 AM

Yeah 2wd 3.55 auto. About 285k miles. I've been running her for about 534 days. My avg is 19mpgs. Best was 24 worse was 14.

I run about 50% highway/city. Rarely get over 65
And drive like an.old lady. Tires are transforce with not much tread. If you can't tell I'm a little anal about my fuel economy. So far I've been pretty impressed coming from all my gassers getting 10-15 at best
Old 11-03-2013, 04:41 PM

Good to know. I have used it in gassers to remove carbon, never thought to use it in diesels
Old 11-03-2013, 08:15 PM

Best way is in the tank and directly in the fuel bowl works well too. I always have a can in the garage. Matter of fact today used it in moms tauras because it has been idling and running like crap so I ran it throught the intake. Ooo man it smoked like all hell and now that thing runs and drives like a charm. I get the engine warm and let it soak for like a half hour or so and that seems to work the best. I put it in the oil of my cars a few miles before I do an oil change. I have heard that it is really bad to use in the oil in our trucks. I am not sure of the exact reason, maybe someone can elebarote more?
Old 11-03-2013, 08:33 PM
Behavior Modificationist

I've dumped a healthy dose of Seafoam in my fuel bowl and the rest in the tank on my last filter change. I didn't really notice anything different.

Regarding the Seafoam in oil--from what I've read/heard, since it has alcohol as an ingredient, it is not advisable. It has oil-thinning properties and will wreak havoc on the HPOP and injectors. I'm sure more will chime in.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have heard that since seafoam has some alcohol in it, it hurts your lubrication real bad and not to use it on a higher mileage motor because it grabs the crud and sucks it into the injectors. I could easily be dead wrong, but this is just things I've heard or read, also those did not specify what kind of engine, they were just about how it was bad for a diesel engine. I could be dead wrong though, and if I am I will run seafoam in my truck lol
Old 11-04-2013, 05:04 PM

Man you guys get awesome mileage. I cant get more than 200 miles out of the front tank and 170 miles from the rear no matter how slow/economical i drive. I may have to try this sea foam.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'm a retired Chemist. Been analyzing solvents for use in plastics, paint and adhesives all my life. Want to know what's in "Seafoam"?
Go to a Sherwyn Williams Paint store and get a gallon of VMP Naphtha. Then go to Dudadiesel dot com and order a quart of ANHYDROUS iso propyl alcohol. Mix 95 parts VMP with 5 parts IPA, and there you have it.
Want to verify what I just wrote? Go to the Seafoam web site and find their MSDS, which stands for Material Safety Data Sheet. Google the CAS # and see for yourself.
I have been using the above in all the cars I have ever owned for the past 50 years.
Sometimes I substitute Stoddard Solvent for the VMP when the price is right.
Hope this helps, because for sure you will save big bucks over the cost of Seafoam.
Dick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.