Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

No FPR Screen

7K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  JTWAT 
#1 ·
I went to clean my FPR screen this evening and come to find out, mines not there.

I bet it's been off for quite some time, but there's no way to really tell.

What are the downfalls to not running a screen? Funking up the return line?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#3 ·
The screen is after the filter, but what ever the filter misses the missing screen obviously won't catch either

#5 ·
in no way did I say it was useless, I said what ever the filter misses the lack of FPR screen will miss it as well, as in what ever trash was going to get caught by the screen is now going through the rest of your injection system

#7 ·
not sure a lack of screen would kause a loss in power, but a bad injector because of trash going in will have this effect, but mostly have you checked for boost leaks at the manifolds, up pipes, up pipes gaskets, intake y boots?

#8 ·
I haven't yet. I don't have to tools to do that myself. I'm guessing any competent shop could do a boost leak test for me?
I'll inspect the up-pipes tonight for any noticeable visual signs of a leak.

I have a small fuel leak in the valley. I have a complete rebuild kit for it, and I planned on cleaning the IPR while I was in there.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#9 ·
Is there any soot on the firewall or excessive amount any where in the engine bay is one way to check and if u clean the valley really good with degreaser and run the truck you maybe able to pinpoint the fuel leak.

#14 ·
The fpr screen is not after the filter. It is on the dirty side of the filter. Excess fuel pressure in the filter housing is sent back to the tank via the fpr. Any large pieces of trash in the filter housing is caught by the screen so as not to block the fpr. Without the screen in place, you run the risk of a piece of trash getting caught under the seat of the fpr metering valve and hold it open. If this happens the fuel pressure being supplied to the fuel rails would be lower and affect power.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.