Dana 60 Axle Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 09:47 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dana 60 Axle Question

So I'm working on gathering all the parts required for the swap from the TTB (w/ 4:10 gears) on my 97 F250 to the D60. I have located a junk yard that has 4 D60's (4:10 gears and ball joint style) in stock. He quoted me $300picked up for my choice on the complete axle, and $40 for the track bar and track bar mount. He also said that the springs would be $50 each and that would include the hardware. Now, that being said, the questions.

1) Since I feel like I'm getting a good price on the axle, would I be money ahead to replace all the componets with new ones (gears, bearings, seals)? Or, if the gears look good, is it a waste of money to change those out therefor only needing to change the bearings and seals. The reason I ask, is that I am not sure if the gears are something that will eventually wear out and ill be wishing I had done it when I bought the axle. (common sense would tell me if I'm going to change everything out, I should just buy a housing and build the axle up, but then again, I don't know if I could find even just a housing for $300)

2) My plan is to do a RSK w/ SD springs, so I will probably skip buying the F-350 springs, but still buy the drivers side u-bolt plate. It will probably take me a month or two to buy the parts for the RSK, but I feel like I will be better off waiting a couple months and doing it all at once rather than rushing into it, then having to go back and change out the springs. The question I have on this part is, will the RSK work with my Gage outlaw series full replacement bumper or are there some clearance issues that you guys know about and I'll have to cut up my bumper? If so, I think I may skip the RSK and just stick with the F350 springs. ( I know Cary will be the best one to ask, but I figured I'd talk with you guys first before bothering him with it.)

Thanks for all the help guys. Yall have an awesome site going and I'm glad to be apart of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2013, 09:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I did the swap in my 96. Did u say they are laying in a yard correct? I ran through mine and replaced everything with moog parts which are lifetime guaranteed. I went a little above and beyond but it's covered if it ever goes bad. Also I highly suggest finding a king pin front end and not ball joint.mi prefer these myself but it's a personal preference. All depends on the budget you are on. If need any questions answered lmk.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Far as the front end replacement I am not sure. Iam. Getting ready to dig into that project myself....
Old 10-23-2013, 11:14 AM
Premium Member

This may be a dumb question but what advatages will the king pin give me over the ball joint? I'm less concerned with the cost as I am about doing it "right". I hate having to re-do anything that wasn't done right the first time.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The king pin axles are slightly stronger and usually last a little longer than the ball joint one's before needing pin/ball joint replacement. I would suggest ALL new seals, including the inner axle seals, clean and check all bearings (carrier and hub) clean and inspect carrier and gears. If all the bearings and gears look good put it all together with the proper lubricants and it should last a good long time. Also spend the extra and have the rotors turned or replaced if necessary and new brake pads. If the drag link and tie rods have been sitting out in the weather or dirt plan on replacing them also, it is money well spent. I cannot answer the question about the bumper because the D60 swaps I have done where with stock obs F350 springs or in the case of mine superlift 4" lift springs.

Last edited by 1Dieselman; 10-23-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:09 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the info dieselman. How does yours ride with the 4" superlift? That the exact lift I was considering, but if it rides considerably rougher than the SD springs, I'll take the ride over the height. Also, I was planning on buy new tie rods, pitman arm etc. as suggested in mjonesjr's swap write up.

Last edited by trojan2004; 10-23-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:36 PM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
It rides okay. It's a truck that gets worked pretty hard sometimes so I don"t expect it to ride like a caddy. I've wheeled a lot of superduty's and no thank you, they don't do worth a darn in tough situations because the springs are to soft. With mine just the front springs are superlift, the rears are stock with factory overloads.

Last edited by 1Dieselman; 10-23-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

For sure put new everything in the front end if u can spare it. The seals must be new and done right or u will be pullin it all out and redoing it....
Old 10-24-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojan2004 View Post
So I'm working on gathering all the parts required for the swap from the TTB (w/ 4:10 gears) on my 97 F250 to the D60. I have located a junk yard that has 4 D60's (4:10 gears and ball joint style) in stock. He quoted me $300picked up for my choice on the complete axle, and $40 for the track bar and track bar mount. He also said that the springs would be $50 each and that would include the hardware. Now, that being said, the questions.

1) Since I feel like I'm getting a good price on the axle, would I be money ahead to replace all the componets with new ones (gears, bearings, seals)? Or, if the gears look good, is it a waste of money to change those out therefor only needing to change the bearings and seals. The reason I ask, is that I am not sure if the gears are something that will eventually wear out and ill be wishing I had done it when I bought the axle. (common sense would tell me if I'm going to change everything out, I should just buy a housing and build the axle up, but then again, I don't know if I could find even just a housing for $300)

2) My plan is to do a RSK w/ SD springs, so I will probably skip buying the F-350 springs, but still buy the drivers side u-bolt plate. It will probably take me a month or two to buy the parts for the RSK, but I feel like I will be better off waiting a couple months and doing it all at once rather than rushing into it, then having to go back and change out the springs. The question I have on this part is, will the RSK work with my Gage outlaw series full replacement bumper or are there some clearance issues that you guys know about and I'll have to cut up my bumper? If so, I think I may skip the RSK and just stick with the F350 springs. ( I know Cary will be the best one to ask, but I figured I'd talk with you guys first before bothering him with it.)

Thanks for all the help guys. Yall have an awesome site going and I'm glad to be apart of it.

That is a good deal. I would get a 95-97 axle so you can retain your calipers and bigger rotors.

Check the axle over GOOD. Replace what needs replacing. Defiantly change all the seals. If money isn not super tight, I would go ahead and replace all 4 ball joints with XRF ones, steering linkage and Spicier U-joints
Old 10-25-2013, 07:05 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the advice Brad. I will take your advice and replace those parts while I'm at it. I'm sure it will pay off in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.