Small coolant leak from top of front cover gasket. Any tips on replacement? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 08:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Small coolant leak from top of front cover gasket. Any tips on replacement?

So I guess I have to pull the engine to do this? 94 F350 4x4 zf5. Any tips on a good engine hoist and stand? Are there any Flat rate short cuts to this? Is there a gasket that goes there or rtv? There is RTV there now, but the PO of the truck had shady people work on it, so everything I've done to it so far has made me shake my head when I've seen their work. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2013, 09:05 AM

How much does the engine weigh? And how high do I need to lift it? I'm assuming I can just pull the radiator and core support and the engine will come out that way.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:30 AM
BANNED by Kris

The water pump to timing cover is a one piece rubber gasket. The timing cover to front of engine uses several fiber gaskets in water jacket locations and silicon the rest of the way around for oil retention. I believe Fel-Pro sells a complete fiber replacement.

The engine weighs between 750 and 850 pounds depending on how much fluid you get out. Also the motor needs to be raised about 2 feet if you strip off the front end. Your engine should still have the lifting loops attached.

This is your chance to up the front end to use a SD pump but you are spending about $400 on a new 96-up front cover. Find a pick and pull and strip the parts of a wrecked SD.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFuel View Post
The water pump to timing cover is a one piece rubber gasket. The timing cover to front of engine uses several fiber gaskets in water jacket locations and silicon the rest of the way around for oil retention. I believe Fel-Pro sells a complete fiber replacement.

The engine weighs between 750 and 850 pounds depending on how much fluid you get out. Also the motor needs to be raised about 2 feet if you strip off the front end. Your engine should still have the lifting loops attached.

This is your chance to up the front end to use a SD pump but you are spending about $400 on a new 96-up front cover. Find a pick and pull and strip the parts of a wrecked SD.
I would but the water pump is brand new. I put a new one on about 2 months ago because the impeller was chewing up the pump housing. The front cover looked brand new when the pump was off. Is there any benefit to upgrading the front cover? This will be a chance for me to put the banks intercooler on that has been sitting in my guest room for about a year.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:41 AM
BANNED by Kris

Swap the waterpump to the new cover. Tousley Ford shows that it's the same part number. Ford probably discontinued yours and only offers the one now meaning that they are essentially the same. Upping the front cover will allow you to run '96-03 HPOP. These are cheaper, flow more, and easier to find. Pulling this stuff off a wrecked truck will save a ton of money.

I love my Banks intercooler.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFuel View Post
Swap the waterpump to the new cover. Tousley Ford shows that it's the same part number. Ford probably discontinued yours and only offers the one now meaning that they are essentially the same. Upping the front cover will allow you to run '96-03 HPOP. These are cheaper, flow more, and easier to find. Pulling this stuff off a wrecked truck will save a ton of money.

I love my Banks intercooler.
I was planning on putting a t500 on it when it have it apart. The PO had the engine replaced about 40k ago, so the front cover was most likely replaced. Is there a good way to determine which front cover is on the engine prior to disassembly?
Old 10-23-2013, 03:46 PM
BANNED by Kris

This is a Patrick or Madpogue question. I'll see what I can find but they will probably see and answer this first.

Just thinking, the cover doesn't generally go out so there should be a casting date on it somewhere. These are usually near the balancer. Pulling the IPR out will ID if it is a old HPOP or new. If the pump is one or the other than the cover is matched.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:37 PM

Cool. I'll check that out. It should be fun doing this in my backyard. I was used to working in a shop for so long I got spoiled.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:07 PM

Started prepping the engine to pull today. It's a really nice day for pulling an engine in my back yard. Hopefully it stays that way for a little while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.