Glowplug help... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2013, 04:35 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Glowplug help...

My truck seems to not want to start right, batteries are fine connections secure etc.. so I resorted to checking the glow plug relay. Registered 0 when off and 11.5 volts when on, just like it should. So I moved on to testing the glow plugs. I tested the first one, passenger side, the pin closest to the grille. It slowly went from .0 to .8 and stuck there. The next one kinda did the same but then shot to 2.4 ohms. I checked all the others and they went anywhere from .7 to 1.4 ohms. I noticed though, when I went to put the passenger side connector closest to the fire wall back on, that the plastic circly part closest to the firewall too, was broke. Most likely not even letting the glow plug get power. I'd just like some help trying to figure out if I need new glow plugs, or even anything that I might need

Thanks peeps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2013, 06:02 AM
Premium Member

The connections are strong too and the cords running off the batteries doesn't look frayed or corroded. So I don't think that's a problem.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 10-14-2013, 09:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Check the voltage at the "always-on" big terminal while the key is in RUN. You can expect it to be slightly more than the other one (11.5), but if the difference is more than 0.3V, the relay is bad.

You need to replace that wiring pigtail with the broken terminal. Check the terminal on the connector on the gasket as well. For good measure, you should remove both valve covers and check for damage to the connectors and wiring inside; usually if there's damage outside, there's damage inside.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:01 AM
Premium Member

Always on reads 11.3 when on run the other side reads 11.2

Last edited by KS_; 10-14-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:33 AM
Premium Member

Could it possibly be the starter? I have a video of it trying to crank up and it doesn't click but it seems like it isn't pushing hard enough if you know what I mean

Old 10-14-2013, 11:44 AM

Possibly starter, or batteries. Have you _load_ tested the batteries, in isolation from one another?
Old 10-14-2013, 11:48 AM
Premium Member

One is a new battery and the other is going on a little over three years old but Walmart said it was fine, I'm guessing they test it to see if it'll still pull enough for smaller cars

Old 10-14-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_ View Post
One is a new battery and the other is going on a little over three years old
Problem. Always install batteries in pairs. At best, your starting system is only as strong as the weaker of the two batteries. At worst, the weaker one will pull down the stronger one. If, by "new", you mean you've had the one battery in for only a short while (like, a week or two), go out and buy another one of the EXACT same brand, model, size, warranty level, etc. and install it in place of the three-year-old one.

Quote:
but Walmart said it was fine,
Problem #2. The guy who tested your batteries was stocking toilet paper the night before. Even the AutoZtoners would be more competent.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:49 PM
Premium Member

Its been on for a while, like a few months.. I planned on replacing the other one ASAP but I totally spaced it and didn't realize until recently when I had to screw with things that had to do with the batteries

Old 10-14-2013, 12:53 PM

You might still be okay replacing just the one battery. Get the new(ish) one tested again, and if it tests as good as a brand new one, you should be good to go. Of course, if it's still on the full replacement warranty period, you could claim it's giving you trouble starting, and get it replaced on warranty...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.