Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

96 truck with 97 motor swap

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  shoopie 
#1 ·
So the original motor in my 96 took a crap and i am in the process of tearing down my 97 parts motor for rebuild and swap in. For some of the pros out there... what are the differences between the 96 and 97? I know some of the sensors and plugs are different but will i be able to use the 96 wiring harness? I already have a 97 computer in it. will i need to change the idm? just looking for a more experienced opinion. Thanks

#2 ·
Late model 97's have 10 bolts in the intake plenums instead of 8. If you have 10 bolts holding on your intake plenum, this means you have the SuperDuty heads.
This makes it way easier to upgrade to 3" billet plenums, which might I add is an awesome upgrade, imo.

Most of the diesel performance shops don't carry 3" billet plenums for the 8 bolt style due to lack of demand.

Besides that, there really are no major differences between years and you don't need to do anything special. Your wiring harness and IDM will hook right up.

#3 ·
both my 96 and 97 heads have 10 bolts on the plenums. its getting 3"ers anyway with a t4 mount, intercooler and efuel

#4 ·
Should swap right over assuming its an OBS to OBS swap...

#5 ·
yea its obs to obs i just noticed some of the sensor plugs are different i.e. the oil temp sensor on the hpo rez on the 96 has a rectangular plug where the 97 has a round plug. wondering what else is different. thats just as simple as swapping the sensors though correct?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.