TW chip and fuel mileage - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Cark
TW chip and fuel mileage

I've had my 95 350 CC for about 3 weeks now, and finally went through a full tank with normal-ish mixed driving. I averaged about 16.5 MPG, which I don't think is too bad, but certainly wouldn't mind getting better. The truck has a 4 pos. TW chip, 4" exhaust, 35" BFG's, 4.10 gears, and I'm told 160cc injectors. I was told the settings on the chip are stock, +60, +80, and +120 (i think). Most of my driving was in the 3rd position, or what i was told was about +80hp. Again, I'm bummed about my mileage, but would really like to see more like 18-20. I was hoping to have the chip re-burned (if and when tony slows down) and getting his economy program on there. I'm wondering what kind of mileage difference I might see by changing one of my programs to that.

I've also given some though to re-gearing the truck and running 3.73's or even 3.55's. Right now at 2000 rpm's in OD I'm at about 63 mph. I don't plan on doing ANY doing, if anything just the occasional car trailer, and by occasional I mean maybe once a year. Most of my driving well be highway as well. I'm also wondering how much it costs to re-gear a 4x4 truck. I am also (hopefully) very soon going to be running the truck on veggie, so mileage will sort of become irrelevant, but dino or veggie, more mileage is always a good thing. Anyhow, I'm rambling on... any input that you guys can give me would be great, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2008, 11:22 AM

nobody? no love?

I'm just looking for mileage reports from people with 4.10 gears and the economy TW program.

Also wondering about how much it may cost to regear the truck... could prolly find that in another thread, but though why not try and kill two stones with one bird?
Old 07-12-2008, 11:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My 96 with an automatic 4:10 gets 15 or 15.5 at the very best. This is with kitty delete, DIY filter, and a small lift. I don't know how you can get much better than what you have been getting, but I don't have a chip?
Old 07-12-2008, 12:33 PM

well not sure on my gears but i get around 20 mpg (was getting about 16 mpg without the chip) with DIY intake, and the chip (its a bully dog chip). but from what i hear TW is way better, there for im assuming you should get more of an increase then what i got.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:21 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
A couple of things..your spedo seems way off, check it over a 10 mile section of hy using the road mile markers holding MPH on your spedo. I think its about 8% low which if its is your getting close to 18 now.

Its Very hard to get much better than 18 at 70mph. 16.5 mixed is great! Plus you have a lifted CCLB!!

TW doesn't use 20-40-60-80 bs settings on his chips so you might want to pull it and see what you have, if its his send it back for his new burns.

Any way of finding out whos inj. you have and if their stage 1's or 2's? Old style 2's won't get you the best MPG but Tony can help.

Unless you have a 17* HPOP you are running low on oil and your atomization isn't as good as it should be which can cause more black smoke..less MPG.

Cary
Old 07-13-2008, 07:32 AM

Thanks for all the input... I think my speedo is actually pretty dead on. I've driven by a few of the roadside speed check things and it's always within 1 or 2 of what I'm showing on the speedo, could be off a few percent, but nothing major. I've been doing most of my HW driving at 65 so far, and am OK with that, only jumping over 70 to have fun and/or do some passing.

Where do I find on the chip what I have for settings??? I am planning on getting it reburned, but from what I've heard it sounds like tony is super busy right now... not sure how long I want to drive the truck without a chip. If I can talk to the guy I bought the truck from I'll ask about the injectors.

Pretty sure it is the stock HPOP, but the truck almost never smokes, unless I turn the chip up all the way, then that's all it does :-)

Anyway, thanks for the help... I'm still trying a few simple little things, different positions on the chip, running some B10-B20 as I can find it, and I'm about to put some additive in my tank to see what that does. Again, I'm really not upset about my mileage, but more is always better right?
Old 07-13-2008, 08:10 AM
KVFD

Send a message via MSN to redstroker_2002
well i am on the 4th tank since i got my chip and i has bumped me up 2 mpg and raising
Old 07-13-2008, 11:00 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
PM me the name of the guy you bought the truck from and I will look at the positions on the chip.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:09 AM

wow that's awesome!!! PM sent
Old 07-13-2008, 11:15 AM

4.10's here mods below I have seen at most almost 22 mpg and I have no chip it all in how you drive and how well you maintain your diesel. fuel filtration and oil filtration can have an affect but because your rolling around with bigger injectors 35" tires and 80hp setting on your chip I couldn't see you getting more then 18-19 with that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.