Help with Decisions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2008, 08:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help with Decisions

I am in need of some advice. I am looking at selling my ford (97 f250 PS w/215 k miles) and getting a 07 dodge diesel. My thoughts are i need something newer with the peace of mind that i may not have to worry about something going wrong on a long trip, since we pull horses - i worry about getting stuck with the current truck ( although i have not yet). I dont know how reliable my 97 f250 PS will be for me in the future.. i hear good and bad stories. Only things replaced are the fuel pump and fuel bowl and it needs a new oil pan and gasket since i have a leak. So my question:

1) What should i or would i start replacing to make sure i don't have problems on the road (i am sure that is a hard question as no one really knows)?
2) Or should i just get a newer truck?
3) Or maybe just take a few thousand here and there and start replacing stuff.. i am not sure which way to go.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2008, 09:00 AM
Conservative and Proud

Is it paid for?
Old 07-07-2008, 09:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

i wouldnt say that a new dodge would be any more or less reliable than what you already have,my brother is on his 3rd motor in his 05 cummins he has had nothing but problems with that truck.so i would say it is a hit and miss on what you get these days.i am wondering if anyone makes a good truck anymore.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I still owe a bit on it .. bout 5k. It should be paid within the next year. It has been great so far besides the money i have put into it, its just the fear factor weighing in on me.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:23 AM
Conservative and Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by badazzstroker View Post
i wouldnt say that a new dodge would be any more or less reliable than what you already have,my brother is on his 3rd motor in his 05 cummins he has had nothing but problems with that truck.so i would say it is a hit and miss on what you get these days.i am wondering if anyone makes a good truck anymore.
I totally agree... if it's almost paid for you can probably afford to fix stuff here and there. If you buy new or newer you could have even more problems, then add in the payment, possibly higher insurance and what are you actually saving? JMO.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee34 View Post
I totally agree... if it's almost paid for you can probably afford to fix stuff here and there. If you buy new or newer you could have even more problems, then add in the payment, possibly higher insurance and what are you actually saving? JMO.
I can agree on those statements - I actually like the truck and could deal with repairs even with the small amount i owe - but sometimes my brain gets fuzzy when i see new trucks so i come to you guys to get me square again.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

here is my 2 cents on keeping what you have. you know what work has been done to it/you are familiar with your rig.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:02 AM
Conservative and Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydeshowbob View Post
I can agree on those statements - I actually like the truck and could deal with repairs even with the small amount i owe - but sometimes my brain gets fuzzy when i see new trucks so i come to you guys to get me square again.
I am the same way.... I see a new one and think, ooooooh that looks nice, I could, no wait stop!
Old 07-07-2008, 10:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

yeah .. that all makes sense.. this is like me helping someone else who just asked me the same question.. i already new the answer.. dayum. Thanks all for screwing my head on strait..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.