Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Trans temp sensor

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  terryknight 
#1 ·
I have a 97 f250. We currently put in a2001 f250 manual transmission. Now that we did that all my gauges on the gauge pod don't work. The sensor is not in the transmission because I need a new one for the manual tranny. Does anyone know if I can just get a sensor and a local parts store? And also where do the sensors go? Do you think this would make my gauge pod gauges work again?

Thanks

#2 ·
What types and brand gauges do you have in the pod? Any sending unit will need to match up with the gauge to read correctly. For a manual tranny, the sending unit would normally go in one of the PTO covers (you would need to modify it to fit or see if you can find a billet PTO cover ... I had one from FabCraft Metalworks). I don't know if the 2001 tranny would have some other provision for one. Cheers!

#5 ·
Hmm, you'd expect them to work independently of one another. But you might want to contact GlowShift about it. Another thing to try - disconnect all the wires from the back of the tranny temp gauge head, and see if that makes the other two gauges come back to life, at least for the time being.

#8 ·
Stock, you would see about 4 psi just cruising flat and level and about 16-18 under heavy load. Cheers!

#11 ·
AeroForce interceptor scan gauge ftw

#12 ·
My ZF-5 would hit 250F under a good load towing in summer. It can take a while to get there and it can take a while to come down too. They eventually stuck an internal pump and external cooler on the ZF-6 speeds (so the manuals can get toasty). Cheers!

#13 ·
yes they can, but there is less stuff for heat to damage in a manual.

i would recommend fuel pressure as a 3rd gauge, or like kris said a scan gauge

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.