High Mileage OBS Uncertainty - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 07:48 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
High Mileage OBS Uncertainty

I'm looking for some advice/insight. I currently own a 97' 12Valve cummins ext cab with 160K miles. It has been a great truck and I have done a lot to it.......all by myself. Point being I know my truck really well and could fix anything on it. I have two young kids and would really like a 4 door/crewcab diesel. Dont really have the money to go buy a new/more expensive truck as we already have a large payment on my wifes car. Add to that that I have always wanted an OBS 7.3L. I recently found a guy on craigslist (he contacted me when I posted my truck fs/ft) who has a 96' crew cab/long bed f350 4x4 7.3 with 295K miles. I went and looked at it and it is very clean. No rust, not falling apart. Has the usual dings and scratches and could use a new clearcoat but overall not really bad for the age. I initially told him i would pass because of the amount of miles, and now Im having second thoughts. Again I would like a crew cab and it was a relatively clean truck. But I keep coming back to that just being a really high amount of miles and I have no idea what the history of the truck is. Plus I would be startting over and if anything went wrong i would be lost for a while until i learned the truck. So.....what do you guys think?

Thanks in advance for the comments/advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2013, 07:54 AM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
How many miles are on it? I've yet to buy one under 250k and just keep going strong on them, if you want a crew cab 4x4 diesel that is going to be your best bet as far as trades go, but someone in a newer sd may want to trade ya, but I have had 2 obs crew cab 7.3's now and love them, wouldn't want anything else honestly
Old 10-02-2013, 09:16 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
The 7.3L is to Ford as the 5.9L 12V is to Dodge. Both motors run forever and are easy to work on. The main differences are the cummins is a common rail system and only has 6 cylinder and the powerstroke is a HEUI injection system. Learning the HEUI system would be the biggest hurdle if you know the 5.9 pretty good. If you want a OBS truck you cant go wrong with the 7.3 even at those miles. Mines at 250k now and i dont see an end anytime soon at least.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

At 295,000, engine is early middle-age, presuming it's been maintained.

Automatic or manual transmission?

Check for rust underneath - spring/shock hangers, bed cross-members, esp. the radiator support at the cab mount points.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:08 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about the mileage. Does the owner have receipts of past work? Injectors have probably been changed and more than likely trans work done. Ask about those things. Bring along a little step ladder/stool, a flashlight and look down into the valley to see if there are any signs of leaks. That is not a deal breaker but will need to be addressed at some point. Make sure if you test drive to go through the 4x4 as well as 2x4.

The learning curve of these trucks is not too bad, this forum and others pretty much will help you tremendously. I bought a truck with very low mileage, 74k and I had a quite a few issues because it was not used regularly and sat for about 5 years but now it is running awesome. It all comes down to the owner, his maintenance, what it was used for and why he is selling.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:54 AM

Thanks for the info guys. It is an automatic transmission. I have no idea if it has been rebuild and if so if he has recipts. I know the injectors were replaced recently with stock SD injectors and he has the recipt for the work. As far as underneth the truck it looked pretty rust free. It has been a Florida truck its whole life so im not too worried about that. Could maybe use a rattlecan job underneath to make it look great but thats it. It drove real good and 4X4 worked well. One thing I do remember is when I opened the hood while it was running it was making a wierd sound from the intake. It is really hard to describe but it was kind of a poping sound and it sounded like it was coming directly from the intake. I'm not sure if it was something with the filter or deeper. That was the only other thing that really raised a red flag to me.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein1224 View Post
The 7.3L is to Ford as the 5.9L 12V is to Dodge. Both motors run forever and are easy to work on. The main differences are the cummins is a common rail system and only has 6 cylinder and the powerstroke is a HEUI injection system. Learning the HEUI system would be the biggest hurdle if you know the 5.9 pretty good. If you want a OBS truck you cant go wrong with the 7.3 even at those miles. Mines at 250k now and i dont see an end anytime soon at least.
Agreed.

Just the rest of the truck starts to show its age at that many miles,

Door bushing, Ball joints, steering linkage. AUTO trans, Seats, steering column, the body, etc
Old 10-03-2013, 05:49 AM

Thanks again for the info guys. Also just found a 94.5 crew cab long bed f350 with 220K and a 5 speed tranny. I am made to believe that this one with the maual ZF5 in 94 was the only true PSD is this right? Also he is asking $7800 and I might be able to pick it up for around 7k if I can sell my truck in time. Body looks good no rust, crappy macco paint but thats about it. does this seem like a fair price?
Old 10-03-2013, 05:56 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
seems a little high to me but yes the 94.5 psd only came with a five speed
Old 10-03-2013, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSDTV21 View Post
seems a little high to me but yes the 94.5 psd only came with a five speed
What would be a good price range?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.