Tire pressure vs mpgs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 03:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tire pressure vs mpgs

How much of an effect does tire pressure have on ypur mpgs?

I'm normally pretty anal on my maintenance. But I was sitting with my boy in the front yard looking at my truck and saw my tires looked a little low. I put the gauge on them and the all read 42-45psi. They should be about 75-80 Max. I have a hard time believing I didn't look at that, but with all 4 in the same range I probably did.

Im looking for a place to get air. So far my normal places won't get over 65 psi. But I've been avg 18mpgs. Curious how much something this petty will change it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2013, 04:12 AM

I have not noticed any change in mileage on any vehicle I owned, even with low air pressures in some tires, the only main thing that pressure affects is wear, and steering if the front tires are really low, there are too many variables to prove low air pressure affects mileage, I go by ride, I have 60 lbs in my tires, and 35 lbs in my cars, which gives me a comfortable ride, too much air will give a stiffer ride, and transfer more road shock the the vehicle, which will cause more wear.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:05 AM

I can't say much for my truck yet as I've only had in for a few months. With my old car, a Toyota Corolla, tire pressure was significant. I played around with pressure for a few months after getting the car in 2005. Since then, I've always keep my pressures right up to the cold max stamped on the tire. I was able to get better fuel economy, it handled much better in the rain, and I got much more life out of the tires in regards to wear than everyone else I talked to who owned the same car. The only downsides as mentioned above was the stiffer ride. I would check the pressure about every two weeks or so.

Seeing this thread reminds me that I've been somewhat slipping with the truck. I plan to fill the tires up later on today.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DChalue413 View Post
I can't say much for my truck yet as I've only had in for a few months. With my old car, a Toyota Corolla, tire pressure was significant. I played around with pressure for a few months after getting the car in 2005. Since then, I've always keep my pressures right up to the cold max stamped on the tire. I was able to get better fuel economy, it handled much better in the rain, and I got much more life out of the tires in regards to wear than everyone else I talked to who owned the same car. The only downsides as mentioned above was the stiffer ride. I would check the pressure about every two weeks or so.

Seeing this thread reminds me that I've been somewhat slipping with the truck. I plan to fill the tires up later on today.
Same thing here. Better wear, improved mpg with keeping the air press up to spec. Anybody use Nitrogen?
Old 10-02-2013, 08:46 AM

I will I'm very detailed in my MPG and fuel costs
Old 10-02-2013, 06:52 PM

Unless your truck is loaded constantly, anything over 50psi will KILL what little ride you have
Old 10-02-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandy View Post
I will I'm very detailed in my MPG and fuel costs
windows down AC cranked!
Old 10-04-2013, 04:08 PM

Its a gimmick in street vehicles. In a perfect world, nitrogen will work in cars, we use it in our dirt race cars, there is no moisture in nitrogen so the pressures stay consistent, in cars you would still have to keep the tires inflated like air due to the natural bleeding of the rubber in tires.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:43 AM

So far I'm running mid 17mpgs regardless off psi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.