1997 F-Superduty 4x4..how rare and whats it worth? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 03:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1997 F-Superduty 4x4..how rare and whats it worth?

I'm looking at a 1997 F-Superduty and having a hard time finding information on these specific trucks.

My question is how rare is it and what is it worth? Although, thats only up to what someone is obviously willing to pay...I'd like to get your guys opinions of current real world values and numbers on this truck. Does anyone know how many F-Superduty's were made?

The Specs -

1997 Ford F-Superduty with 76,000 Miles
7.3L Powerstroke Diesel
ZF5 Close Ratio Manual / 5 Speed Transmission
4x4 Quigley Conversion
Dana 70 Front 4x4 Axle
Dana 80 Dual Rear Wheel axle (disc brakes)
Cab and Chassis
Mason Dump bed with PTO hookup
Pretty Sure it has a hydroboost brake setup and is rated @ 15,000 GVW

6 New Tires
New Clutch Set & Flywheel @ 65,000 miles
2 New batteries
Fuel filter and Oil just changed

Are there any forums or websites dedicated particular to these trucks?

It has 10 lug axles with 16" steel rims, does anyone know of any alcoa style 19.5+ wheels that can be run on this truck?

Thanks in advance, nice forum you guys have here.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2013, 04:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Nice looking truck. Like you said, only worth what someone is will in to pay. But I would say 8-10k

Ford never made a 4wd F-superduty. They were all conversions. marmon herrington and Quigley were 2 big name that did the conversion. But there were others

I always wanted one, but with the UNAVAILABILITY of parts and the HIGH cost, I just said screw it and bought a F350. After all, I can still register aF350 for what the F-superdyty is registered for. The same tires are used on both trucks and THAT is the limiting factor.

As for adding 19.5s, yes, but I hope you are sitting down when you get the price. Just a FYI, 19.5s SUCK off road(someones LAWN) I have had a F550 4wd w 19.5s and a 2wd F-superduty a 16" tires. The 2wdF-superduty w street tires would go MORE places than the 4wd F550 w luggers
Old 10-01-2013, 04:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_brad View Post
Nice looking truck. Like you said, only worth what someone is will in to pay. But I would say 8-10k

Ford never made a 4wd F-superduty. They were all conversions. marmon herrington and Quigley were 2 big name that did the conversion. But there were others

I always wanted one, but with the UNAVAILABILITY of parts and the HIGH cost, I just said screw it and bought a F350. After all, I can still register aF350 for what the F-superdyty is registered for. The same tires are used on both trucks and THAT is the limiting factor.

As for adding 19.5s, yes, but I hope you are sitting down when you get the price. Just a FYI, 19.5s SUCK off road(someones LAWN) I have had a F550 4wd w 19.5s and a 2wd F-superduty a 16" tires. The 2wdF-superduty w street tires would go MORE places than the 4wd F550 w luggers
Yes, its a quigley conversion as mentioned above. The tag is in the glovebox.

What parts are unavailable and high cost?

Whats the price of the 19.5's? any company you can point me at that make them for this bolt pattern?

I'm not interested in taking it offroad, besides some trails and the dumpsite I use is offroad but nothing that a set of street tires and 4x4 cant handle, which yes, is why i'm looking for larger wheels/ tires for towing capacity..the tires do limit what you can tow but with upgraded wheels and the dana 70/80 axles there isnt much that I couldnt tow with it..which I need to consider when using the truck for work.

Thanks again
Old 10-01-2013, 04:48 PM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

That is a very nice truck and I would love to have. Are u asking a price because you are selling or buying?
Old 10-01-2013, 05:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Purchasing.

It's a nice truck but heres some rust issues, front fenders and particularly on the frame by the front shackles for the rear leaf springs. It will have to be repaired / patched for heavy use which is why i'm looking into how much its worth and if its worthwhile to fix. The dump bed may have to come off to do the job right.

Usually, I would just pass on it.... but because of the mileage, drivetrain options, and axles if I grab it for the right price it may be worth fixing and keeping and I should get plenty of years of use and work out of it. Nothing like an old reliable 7.3...this truck is a tank.

If there was no rust issues I would say here in south jersey the truck would go for 10-12k and a dealer would probably put a price of 15-16K on it.

Unfortunately, you cant even find an f250 powerstroke with 200,000 miles for less then 5k around here...so i wanted to ask some questions to you guys first about the rarity of parts and the wheels.

The driver side drop dana 70 front axle is a monster.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol_Blue97 View Post
That is a very nice truck and I would love to have. Are u asking a price because you are selling or buying?
I agree completely frank! I would love to find one of them!

Awesome truck, good luck with it keep posting pics of it!
Old 10-02-2013, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCLSC View Post
Yes, its a quigley conversion as mentioned above. The tag is in the glovebox.

What parts are unavailable and high cost?

Whats the price of the 19.5's? any company you can point me at that make them for this bolt pattern?

I'm not interested in taking it offroad, besides some trails and the dumpsite I use is offroad but nothing that a set of street tires and 4x4 cant handle, which yes, is why i'm looking for larger wheels/ tires for towing capacity..the tires do limit what you can tow but with upgraded wheels and the dana 70/80 axles there isnt much that I couldnt tow with it..which I need to consider when using the truck for work.

Thanks again

If it has rusty frame by the spring hangers, chances are the radiator support is rotten out . they are no longer available thru Ford and no aftermarket one is available.

19.5s? Wheels are going to be 1600+ IF you can find them. Again, parts availability. Then the cost of the tires, Another 1800.

The hard parts to find are front brake rotors, the E-brake setup. Basically Anything to do with the 4wd conversion(Quigley no longer offers parts for them)

Like I said, I looked into one foe a LONG time. a F350 with a Sterling 10.25 and D60 is Just as capable and ALOT cheaper, with parts available

Last edited by Diesel_brad; 10-02-2013 at 02:22 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:23 AM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Those trucks are very common, those trucks in 4x4 are stupid rare, I think they have more lightnings in that body style available than an f-sd with 4x4, Garrett did a lot of searching for one but decided to just make his a 4x4, (weareweird69) I know a place with (4) 16" Alcoa style wheels in so cal, but that's only ones I've seen for that truck
Old 10-02-2013, 06:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_brad View Post
If it has rusty frame by the spring hangers, chances are the radiator support is rotten out . they are no longer available thru Ford and no aftermarket one is available.

19.5s? Wheels are going to be 1600+ IF you can find them. Again, parts availability. Then the cost of the tires, Another 1800.

The hard parts to find are front brake rotors, the E-brake setup. Basically Anything to do with the 4wd conversion(Quigley no longer offers parts for them)

Like I said, I looked into one foe a LONG time. a F350 with a Sterling 10.25 and D60 is Just as capable and ALOT cheaper, with parts available
Thanks for all the info.

The rad support is definitely shot. I looked up front rotors seems like $100 or so a piece for thus style and it definitely has the drum brake on the trans.

I was also looking at f350s for the last year this just kinda fell in my lap.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Went over and got it for $6200

Gonna send it to the frame shop and see what they say .

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.