In dash volt meter tweaking? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-01-2013, 01:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 113
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
In dash volt meter tweaking?

Sunday i installed a new GPR, well i bought the starter relay and wired it accordingly to work the same as the GPR but 1/3 the price. but now my volt meter is showing on the left side of the normal approximately on the "N" and then moves torwards the "RM" area when the engine speed increases. the truck has a brand new alternator and 3 yr old batteries. has no loss in battery power or cranking issues. unfortunately i do not have access to a hand held volt meter . any suggestions are apprecitated.
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 10-01-2013, 01:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 3,148
Thanks: 3
Thanked 75 Times in 72 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A starter relay WILL NOT WORK as a GP relay, for two reasons:
1) It is NOT rated for continuous closed duty. The GPR needs to energize the glow plugs for up to two minutes at a time. A starter relay is rated to be closed for only 30 or so seconds at a time
2) Its coil circuit is grounded through its mounting base. The GPR coil circuit is switched on and off by the PCM through the ground side of the circuit. If you mount the relay, it will always be energized while the key is in the RUN position.

Suggestions:
* Get a relay made for the purpose. You can get a Western Plow relay with an isolated ground and (reportedly) rated for continuous duty for $15-ish, or a Stancor / White-Rodgers 586-902 for $50-ish. A lot of controversy about which is better or more worth the money, but either one will be more appropriate than any starter relay adaptation
* Get a volt meter. They're $10-ish at Harbor Freight, occasionally going on sale for $5. Except for the small fuses and bulbs, that's less than the cost of any one electrical component on our trucks. Pays for itself the first time it's used to determine that something _doesn't_ need replacing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 10-01-2013, 01:58 PM
Chapter Director

 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,897
Thanks: 4
Thanked 43 Times in 35 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
A starter relay WILL NOT WORK as a GP relay, for two reasons:
1) It is NOT rated for continuous closed duty. The GPR needs to energize the glow plugs for up to two minutes at a time. A starter relay is rated to be closed for only 30 or so seconds at a time
2) Its coil circuit is grounded through its mounting base. The GPR coil circuit is switched on and off by the PCM through the ground side of the circuit. If you mount the relay, it will always be energized while the key is in the RUN position.

Suggestions:
* Get a relay made for the purpose. You can get a Western Plow relay with an isolated ground and (reportedly) rated for continuous duty for $15-ish, or a Stancor / White-Rodgers 586-902 for $50-ish. A lot of controversy about which is better or more worth the money, but either one will be more appropriate than any starter relay adaptation
* Get a volt meter. They're $10-ish at Harbor Freight, occasionally going on sale for $5. Except for the small fuses and bulbs, that's less than the cost of any one electrical component on our trucks. Pays for itself the first time it's used to determine that something _doesn't_ need replacing.
Yes sir agree 100%. I did the Western Plow(aka Trombetta) Relay and it works just as good as the stock relay if not better (wintertime will tell). But hopefully you didnt screw up your GPs by running constant voltage through them. How long did you have the relay installed because that will be how long they were on because the hot side is hot as long as the batteries are connected
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 10-01-2013, 03:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 651
Thanks: 1
Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I did new gp's and relay and my volt gauge is around "N" and after a couple minutes it goes to the RM or so. It's just your gpr actually working and drawing the current to keep them glowing. But I am having issues with my gauge randomly going to "N" while driving so I got a wiring problem I need to trace down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 10-01-2013, 03:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 113
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
yep definitely messed up on that deal there sorry guys, luckily i caught the problem on the gauge and unhooked the relay before it could cause damage, i got the right GPR this time and wired it up, truck started right up and volt gauge is back to how it normally acts and tested the glow plugs and they seem to be ok, guess i almost learned the hard way. rookie mistake. thanks for the feedback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 10-01-2013, 04:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Woodside, California
Posts: 366
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
That sure is good looking truck and the whole photo is not too shabby either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 10-01-2013, 05:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 113
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcturus View Post
That sure is good looking truck and the whole photo is not too shabby either.
Thank you sir i sure do appreciate it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 10-02-2013, 08:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,355
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is it swinging back and forth? If so you have bad glow plugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 10-02-2013, 01:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 168
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty4x4 View Post
Is it swinging back and forth? If so you have bad glow plugs.
Good to know this.
I had a couple of bad glow plugs on the passenger side and since I replaced them all, I don't have the GPR pulling in every few seconds after startup...
Learned something today!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 10-02-2013, 07:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 113
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
no its acting normal now just holds a little after start up then right to where it belongs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors