Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Ever wonder if you're wasting $?

880 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  DG65 
#1 ·
Ever wonder if you're wasting money on a project? Of course it always seems to come to you "after" you've spent it, but I had that thought here recently after dumping funds into my 97.

I bought my truck in sad cosmetic condition with the intention of towing a 5th wheel and now after spending thousands on upgrades, wheels/tires and body work the price of fuel is so high that our dream of traveling with an RV might be out the window.

I didn't want to spend too much on the build - I'd say I have about 10k total investment at the moment and still need a downpipe, gauges and a programmer. Everything else on the truck is new but with today's high fuel I'm not sure I could get my $ back out if I wanted to.

I suppose $5+ a gal wouldn't be too bad if it didn't happen over night. :mad:

#2 ·
Yep, were all screwed, I thought the extra money spent on a diesel truck would payoff if I ever wanted to sell, which I am now, I know it's going to go for thousands less than if diesel (and gas) had not gone through the roof. The greedy A-hole oil companies did more than raise fuel prices they sucked all the value out of our trucks. But their day is coming, people actually WANT electric cars and hybrids now, and car companies are scrambling to come out with new models like we've never seen...in a couple years we'll all be driving chevy volts and tesla sedans...well mabey not us!!

#3 ·
Well the oil companies think they have us by the gonads but don't. Its everybody who had suvs and p/us that drove the price of fuel up and realy didn't need them. Are trying to dump them for hybrids/elect cars. I think the price of fuel will come down but not to the level of $1.30 a gal when I bought my rig a couple of years ago. I will keep my rig its paid for ya its 12+ years old but it beats drivin' a hybrid

#4 ·
Well, at this point I don't have any intentions of selling my 97. In fact, I'm still adding mods for an RV. I truely believe we will still travel with our 5er but we will certainly budget our trips. Life's too short not to enjoy the time you have, I just don't intend on selling the truck for a loss when I can still use it.

#6 ·
we budget xxx for fuel a month, if we go under that goes in a special account to be used for occasional travel when it gets big enough.
Hybrid drivers will cry when they have a battery pack go bad and have to replace it!!

#7 ·
I bought my '85 MB wagon back in '04 and have a record of buying diesel for $1.84 in VT that year!

Now that #2 is around $5/gallon, have the prices of diesel pickups really dropped that much?

I would think there's a floor under the price of stock OBS trucks, I guess you might hurt yourself financially if you need to sell after spending big buck$ upgrading your OBS.

#8 ·
thats why im gunna buy a vegi oil conversion kit, $1 a gallon some places free, in 10 months u even out. thats what im doing

#9 ·
This subject is in my mine lately. I bought my 95 four years ago for the purpose of pulling a 5th wheel (which I haven't bought yet). The fuel prices have really kicked me in the cods. But the more I think about it, I'm going to stick with my original plan and get the 5th wheel. I'll have to buget my trips and save for them. I have worked all my life am not going to let the oil companys beat me. Sure I'll drive less and car pool more make my trips count. But I'm a "survivor" and will not let them win. I glad that I got the truck and I'm going to use it. Maybe I'll get a great deal when I shop for the trailer, It's got to be effecting their prices.

Jim

#10 ·
....Maybe I'll get a great deal when I shop for the trailer, It's got to be effecting their prices.

Jim
I know we have more than one RV dealer going under here and prices are much better than I realized. New 30+ footer 5er's for $24k - about 6 to 10k less than a year ago when I looked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.