5spd/6 spd clutch? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2013, 04:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
5spd/6 spd clutch?

Im wondering if any company makes a clutch that is compatible with both a zf5 transmission and a zf6 transmission. I have a zf5 in my truck now and eventually im looking to replace it with a 6 spd. My clutch is on its way out and im looking to save some money later now for later on down the road. IM just asking to see if this is even possible, none of my research has given me any answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2013, 04:48 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
South Bend has 944 kits for both transmissions, not sure what parts are the same but you may be able to reuse some of it. I think the main thing is weather or not you have converted to a SMF or still have the DMF because if you haven't converted to SMF then there is no point in spending the money if your about to replace the whole trans.

The other thing is what do you think your gaining by going to the ZF6? The final drive is almost the same, you won't be able to reuse your transfer case if your 4x4 and you will need to have the drive shafts modified.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have no idea if I have a SMF or a DMF, I have only had the truck for about 6 months and I haven't messed with the transmission yet. I have money to get a new clutch but I don't have the money for a new clutch and tranny, im gunna try to do the change out in steps. The reason I want to switch to a 6 speed is there is more gear choices and the final gear is .0something smaller which would help lower cruising rpms, also the guy who had the truck before me swapped axles so I have a dana 60 rear and I believe it has 4.10 gears in it which in turn I believe is messing with the shifting on my 5 spd. I start out in second but I cant downshift down into second until im practically stopped. If you have a better explaination for the shifting, im all ears.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Extremely unlikely your rear axle is a Dana 60; that's '80s vintage stuff. There are thousands of trucks out there with the ZF5 and the stock 4.10 Sterling rear end, not messing with the shifting. If you're having shifting issues, it's more likely the synchros, or old/wrong fluid (synthetic ATF is required), or possibly a clutch issue.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I took another look and I figured out I have a stock sterling 10.5 on the rear and a dana 60 in the front... mixed that one up, whoops. Anyways I emailed south bend clutch and they said that if I ordered a 5 spd clutch kit now, when I get the 6 spd tranny, I can send the clutch disc back and they'll redo the splines free of charge, I just have to cover shipping and get a new throw out bearing.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:50 PM

That's a smokin' offer. But again, you'll probably find that resolving whatever is causing you difficulty shifting the ZF5 will be a better deal than swapping in a ZF6.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:19 PM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
between my father and i we have 3 5speed and one 6speed. and it won't be worth it to swap to a 6 speed. slightly lower OD yes, worth it not really. more gears yes, more useful gears no. L in the 6 speed is only useful if you are off road pulling a trailer and that's with 3.73s with 4.10s i feel it would be completely useless
Old 09-30-2013, 05:47 PM

You do realize the going rate for a ZF6 is about $2200?

And they are EXPENSIVE to fix as well
Old 10-01-2013, 01:06 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You just have to find the right deal. There is a 2wd unit on ebay for $750 with some of the swap parts and I got mine for $1400 shipped with a transfer case and most of the swap parts.

One word of advice, get the 1/8" thick spacer between the engine and trans. Ford no longer makes it and every place I have contacted either doesn't have it or won't separate it from the trans.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:20 AM

O, I found the right deal for mine, FREE Not the typical price

But typically they sell for 2200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.