potentially dumb questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 06:44 PM
over thinking everything

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
potentially dumb questions

hello as the title states I have some potentially dumb questions I may for get a few but here are the ones I remember

is there anything wrong with just keeping a 3in exhaust sans cat and muffler after a 3in dp replacement?

besides the sticker on the core support (mine's missing) how can I tell if my truck is a cali model (for the record my truck is a 97 f250 ccsb 4x4 e40d)

what causes the od light to not illuminate when you press the button (fyi my od works but cant take it out)

what is the difference between a 15* and 17* hpop and how do I tell them apart

can I run a high volume or performance hpop on stock injectors and tuning

what are the advantages to reversing the shackle location

can I keep the stock obs front suspension (shackle in front)pivot points with a sd spring

can a 300k engine last if I up the hp to 300-350hp

if I have split injectors are baby swamps injectors reliable to upgrade to

would a winch bumper that has no extra holes in it like the 95-97 front bumpers hurt performance and or cooling

my new toy

thank you for your time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2013, 07:31 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordmandan87 View Post
hello as the title states I have some potentially dumb questions I may for get a few but here are the ones I remember

is there anything wrong with just keeping a 3in exhaust sans cat and muffler after a 3in dp replacement?
Nothing wrong with it... But then again nothing wrong with letting the engine breathe easier!

besides the sticker on the core support (mine's missing) how can I tell if my truck is a cali model (for the record my truck is a 97 f250 ccsb 4x4 e40d)
check what code the injectors are
what causes the od light to not illuminate when you press the button (fyi my od works but cant take it out)
Possibly a connection issue or failed button

what is the difference between a 15* and 17* hpop and how do I tell them apart.
The 17* pump flows more oil for the injectors. Allows for higher hp increases when tuned. Not sure on identifying between the two.

yes, some guys see an improvement in performance and milage. Probably because their stock HPOP was getting weak.

can I keep the stock obs front suspension (shackle in front)pivot points with a sd spring

your engine will be more than fine, just get gauges and monitor the them along with regular maintenance
stock OBS injectors have AA single shot injectors, I think

would a winch bumper that has no extra holes in it like the 95-97 front bumpers hurt performance and or cooling
it really depends on the design, some guys claim their ECT goes up but upgrading the grille helps a lot. Not sure but maybe you could get a more agressive fan clutch like the 6.0s can have. The 6.0 agressive fan clutch is called a snow plow fan clutch...

my new toy

thank you for your time
Read the read. Not sure on all questions
Old 09-29-2013, 08:45 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordmandan87 View Post

[COLOR="rgb(46, 139, 87)"]stock is 3.5, but yes it's fine, just find a cat and muffler delete[/COLOR]
[COLOR="rgb(46, 139, 87)"]on the pass side valve cover the is a white sticker with light blue writing saying it conforms to California emissions, PCM code is mme series, a shunt on the glow plug relay, and pop the valve cover to check the code on the injectors, should be "ab"[/COLOR]
[COLOR="rgb(46, 139, 87)"]the light should come on saying its off, but if it's not working then you may need to check wiring/button/fuses[/COLOR]
what is the difference between a 15* and 17* hpop and how do I tell them apart
[COLOR="rgb(46, 139, 87)"]the degree of the swash plate, the 17* version supplies more oil to the injectors[/COLOR]
[COLOR="rgb(46, 139, 87)"]yes[/COLOR]
[COLOR="rgb(46, 139, 87)"]better ride quality[/COLOR]
[COLOR="rgb(46, 139, 87)"]no, the SD spring is longer than the stock obs one[/COLOR]
[COLOR="rgb(46, 139, 87)"]that all depends on tuning, driving habits, and support mods[/COLOR]
[COLOR="rgb(46, 139, 87)"]they aren't big enough IMHO to gain much, just do some160/100's or bigger, but you mite want to look into doing a federal PCM if you have a Cali model[/COLOR]

[COLOR="rgb(46, 139, 87)"]its not going to make a big difference in efficiency or cooling, I ran one for a while, but it limits the ability to install an intercooler pending on which bumper decide to use [/COLOR]
my new toy

thank you for your time
That's a nice rig there replies are in green, hope those helped
Old 09-30-2013, 04:57 AM
over thinking everything

Thank you for the quick and detailed answers but I now have a few more questions

How many problems would I create / solve by doing a 1 in hockey puck body lift?

How much does a shackle reverse kit lift a truck compared to a stock 1 ton?

Does reverse shackle kit create any pinion angle issues?

Can you use a 1in block on the front end of a ttb to combat camber issues?
Old 09-30-2013, 06:41 AM

With a body lift you will have a lot more body roll,

The shackle reversal will only work on a solid front axle, keep this in mind when your wanting to do that, your ttb won't work like that, you can get a lift with a drop carrier shackles for the center as well as the lift springs

I would never in a million years recommend a block lift in the front, never heard of anyone even selling one, but a d60 with f350 springs will give you about 1-2" of lift over stock
Old 09-30-2013, 08:20 AM
over thinking everything

I should mention I have a hp60 from a 96 350 that will be going in as soon as I regear it and clean it up so that is where the shackle reversal questions stem from. As far as the lift block idea I concerned I know my springs are weak and worn out and I want to replace them but I can't convince myself to buy springs that will be useless after the swap is done. Long story short I don't want to wear out my tires too fast. In regards to the body lift I was wondering if a 1in body lift would help a 3in dp fit better and maybe give me a little extra room for an eventual zf6 install without having the fan hit the shroud
Old 09-30-2013, 10:05 AM

My down pipes fit fine with a little persuasion from a long pole between the down pipe that's been cut and the firewall, just get sd springs and use them with an rsk
Old 09-30-2013, 01:57 PM
over thinking everything

Where is the best place to install an egt probe
Old 09-30-2013, 02:00 PM

I've don't the manifold and the intake y flange that goes in the turbo
Old 10-01-2013, 06:21 AM
over thinking everything

Are the cali emissions trucks the only ones equipped with a cat?

Is it me or is this thread turning into ask 351fifty questions thread ? It's kinda funny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.