Well, it finally happened. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2005, 11:33 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to overl0rd Send a message via AIM to overl0rd
Well, it finally happened.

Yep, thats right, my batteries are finally done for. 10 years and not problem one, but its getting a little harder to fire up in the mornings...Kind of a sad day. Ah well, that says a lot for OEM motorcraft batteries. Thinking of going with optima red or blue tops to repace them. Opinions?

What's the longest you folks have gotten out of your batteries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2005, 12:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I considered Optimas myself (I have 2 in my boat) and then got to thinking "I just got 9 years out of a pair of Motorcrafts. Why change?" So I bought 2 more Motorcrafts.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:43 PM

my motorcrafts are still origional and good, but i work for a concrete cutting company that has all PSD's, when the batteries go bad at work we use generics from carquest and they work very well. the only application we have for optimas is in the big diesel saws; they vibrate so much that the isolated cells are key. as for psd's, i think optimas are overkill...i priced batteries for my truck recently and autozone had the best price @ about 50$....

choose wisely,
wes
Old 12-17-2005, 01:16 AM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
Wow overlOrd, 10 years is great! I've been concerned with mine because of my power inverter and winch. I doubt I'll get anywhere near 10 years but I've thought about the Optima if I do have problems, just because I had one on my Wrangler and it worked GREAT.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
Yeah I too think that optimas are good, but can be overkill unless you're running a lot of different accessories or you just need them that bad. If mine decide to go i'm either going to go with motorcraft or another reputable brand.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
Oh and overlord you really scared me at first when I saw the title to this thread!! I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw that it was just batteries......and not some other catastrophic event!
Old 12-17-2005, 09:06 AM
Premium Member

Send a message via ICQ to overl0rd Send a message via AIM to overl0rd
I am running some serious power drawing accessories like a CB and linear amplifier, and aftermarket stereo and amplifier/subwoofer. I'm leaning toward the motorcrafts, like Worm Drowner said, got so many years out of the first set why change. I do also like the everstart extremes (everstart max now) that wal mart carries, I had one in my 84 that I got replacing a customer battery who had had it a few years before. That everstart is now in my goat, still holds a charge.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:05 PM

Send a message via MSN to turbotime Send a message via Skype™ to turbotime
Whats yours sound like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Smokin73Stroker
Oh and overlord you really scared me at first when I saw the title to this thread!! I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw that it was just batteries......and not some other catastrophic event!
ME TOO!!!

Yeah, Overlord, I too am running and aftermarket stereo, which powers an MTX amp and two 10"subs. Also have the sirius radio plugged in, which stays powered even when the truck is off, and I know that I will forget about it and leave it plugged in and on for days. I have noticed just this month or so that my batteries have been in the yellow zone a few times. I have to admit, I run my stereo full blasted a lot while the truck is off and I am riding horses, cleaning stalls, or whatever and am a little concerned that I put my batteries though too much with too little charge time. I will keep ya posted on how much longer they hold out.
Oh yeah, and my stupid sensor for the doors is getting faulty so it thinks that the door is ajar for anywhere from several minutes to an hour after I shut the truck off...can not imagine running the dome light for that long is very good for it.
And the other thing that I do a lot is run the accesory lights to the horse trailer off the truck...man, now that I think about it, there is a lot of stuff that I run off those poor batteries!!!

~Turbo
Old 12-28-2005, 06:38 PM
Military Member

Send a message via ICQ to jwiger Send a message via AIM to jwiger Send a message via MSN to jwiger Send a message via Yahoo to jwiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodslinger
Wow overlOrd, 10 years is great! I've been concerned with mine because of my power inverter and winch.
Keep using that fast idle switch man!!!
Old 12-28-2005, 06:53 PM

I have an alpine v-12 pushin 3 JL W0's. If it's up loud enough and beating away like mad it will dim the lights slightly when idling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.