Test driving an F250 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2008, 02:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Test driving an F250

Hey guys this is my first post here. I'm looking to buy a 94-97 PSD F250 as soon as possible but they're pretty hard to find in my area, and in good condition. I actually went and checked one out yesterday and took it out for about 20 mins on a test drive (had 70,000 miles)

I've never driven an F250 before, currently I drive a 1997 GMC sierra so I'm very used to that. How are these trucks supposed to drive and feel? This one seemed to be hard at shifting, you could feel the gears change ..almost like a thud. I don't think thats normal. The brakes felt hard to press down, they stopped just fine but the pedal didn't move much, just apply force and it stops (on the GMC there is play with the pedal)

The steering was loose feeling and pulled hard to the right. They truck did have oversize tires so tire pressure could account for that.

I'm just not sure how these trucks are supposed to "feel" while driving. Some input from an owner would really be appreciated. Thanks! I wasn't too impressed with this truck, it just didn't feel right to me...the condition was beyond amazing except the interior...I'm not going to buy that one in particular though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2008, 07:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che View Post
Hey guys this is my first post here. I'm looking to buy a 94-97 PSD F250 as soon as possible but they're pretty hard to find in my area, and in good condition. I actually went and checked one out yesterday and took it out for about 20 mins on a test drive (had 70,000 miles)

I've never driven an F250 before, currently I drive a 1997 GMC sierra so I'm very used to that. How are these trucks supposed to drive and feel? This one seemed to be hard at shifting, you could feel the gears change ..almost like a thud. I don't think thats normal. The brakes felt hard to press down, they stopped just fine but the pedal didn't move much, just apply force and it stops (on the GMC there is play with the pedal)

The steering was loose feeling and pulled hard to the right. They truck did have oversize tires so tire pressure could account for that.

I'm just not sure how these trucks are supposed to "feel" while driving. Some input from an owner would really be appreciated. Thanks! I wasn't too impressed with this truck, it just didn't feel right to me...the condition was beyond amazing except the interior...I'm not going to buy that one in particular though.
There may be some thing wrong with tranny if its shifting hard ( i take it its an automatic tranny) and it may be pulling to one side because of the tire pressure but i don't think it would pull hard because of that, there may be a frozen caliper on the brakes which is making it pull, and my brakes don't have much play either there pretty touchy so i think that's normal.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:11 PM
Shaking the Bush Boss

My brakes arent real touchy, but they work fine. My truck goes pretty straight. The tranny has about 20k on a rebuild, it shifts real firm. As far as the steering feeling loose, could be the drag link and tie rod ends. Just replaced mine, ends and drag link, Made a world of difference. Reach under, and grab the draglink, see if theres any play in it.
I have a friend thats got a 96 f350 dually, 2wd for sale. Its clean, less than 150,000 on her. Search in the classifieds or P.M. me, if interested. I've got a few pics of it.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUCK View Post
My brakes arent real touchy, but they work fine. My truck goes pretty straight. The tranny has about 20k on a rebuild, it shifts real firm. As far as the steering feeling loose, could be the drag link and tie rod ends. Just replaced mine, ends and drag link, Made a world of difference. Reach under, and grab the draglink, see if theres any play in it.
I have a friend thats got a 96 f350 dually, 2wd for sale. Its clean, less than 150,000 on her. Search in the classifieds or P.M. me, if interested. I've got a few pics of it.
Looking for a 4x4 only but thanks anyway.

The steering just felt sloppy, and would tug hard to the right all the time. I felt like I was fighting it through the entire test drive. I guess the brakes were normal then? There is another for sale at a dealer about 90 miles away from me. I might go check it out, they've listed it a couple times in the auto trader and it keeps going down in price. They want $7995 (started at $9995), it has 210K miles on it, pretty high but I guess if it was maintained there shouldn't be much to worry about I could probably lowball on the price maybe walk out the door for $6500

I'm specifically looking to get a 96 or 97 crew cab short box, with the red interior...yeaah I'm specific...
Old 06-23-2008, 09:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to Big K Send a message via MSN to Big K Send a message via Yahoo to Big K
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDougall View Post
There may be some thing wrong with tranny if its shifting hard ( i take it its an automatic tranny)
That isn't necessarily true.

If you put a Sonnax Accumulator Valve & Tricumulator Spring, it will shift hard also.

Just because it is shifting hard, doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big K View Post
That isn't necessarily true.

If you put a Sonnax Accumulator Valve & Tricumulator Spring, it will shift hard also.

Just because it is shifting hard, doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it.
tranny had no modifications, every gear felt like a hard clunk...you could really feel & hear it.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to Big K Send a message via MSN to Big K Send a message via Yahoo to Big K
Quote:
tranny had no modifications, every gear felt like a hard clunk...you could really feel & hear it.
That you or they know of, was this a Dealer? or the 1st owner?

Again, Hard shifting doesn't mean it is on the way out.

Is it slipping?
Old 06-23-2008, 01:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big K View Post
That you or they know of, was this a Dealer? or the 1st owner?

Again, Hard shifting doesn't mean it is on the way out.

Is it slipping?
Second owner however he knew the vehicle inside and out..it's a 94 basically turned into a 1997 XLT model. The motor and transmission were unmodified.

It didn't slip at all. Just changed gears very hard (its automatic by the way). I gave it a bit of full throttle and the downshift from 3rd to 2nd was very hard. The whole truck jolted. Upshifts were the same.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:28 PM
Shade tree mechanic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Second owner however he knew the vehicle inside and out..it's a 94 basically turned into a 1997 XLT model. The motor and transmission were unmodified.

It didn't slip at all. Just changed gears very hard (its automatic by the way). I gave it a bit of full throttle and the downshift from 3rd to 2nd was very hard. The whole truck jolted. Upshifts were the same.
what exactly do you mean by its a 94 basically turned into a 97?
Old 06-23-2008, 02:54 PM

is it a 94 or 94.5 because if its a 94 i don't think it is a powerstroke i think powerstroke engines were from 94.5 and up. and no hard firm shifts don't mean the tranny is broken, but the way hes been describing it, it doesn't seem to be normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.