starting fluid=bad? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2008, 02:05 PM
Shade tree mechanic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
starting fluid=bad?

hey guys, i have a freind who has a 97 psd and his truck has been starting hard in the mornings, so to get it started he has been using starting fluid. i know that it is bad for diesels, but i don't know what exactly it is harming. can anybody please tell me what this will do harmwise to the engine? thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2008, 02:10 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
if used correctly in a emrgency situation it can be used , to start it every day , not a god idea , it is very possible to get to much in the engine and bend a connecting rod , blow a headgasket , ive even had them come in with the turbo cracked and intake blowm completely off the truck , so it isnt good to use , the biggest problem is it isnt used correctly
Old 06-22-2008, 02:23 PM
Too cool for school

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to taylorking Send a message via Yahoo to taylorking
yeh if hes having hard starts, have him swap for a new glowplug relay, or check the relay to see if he has voltage. if its good there then pull the glowplugs indiidually and check them.

but if he has to do that for a while, then unplug the glowplug relay (if its bad already then dont bother)
Old 06-22-2008, 02:54 PM
Shade tree mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUFFY828 View Post
if used correctly in a emrgency situation it can be used , to start it every day , not a god idea , it is very possible to get to much in the engine and bend a connecting rod , blow a headgasket , ive even had them come in with the turbo cracked and intake blowm completely off the truck , so it isnt good to use , the biggest problem is it isnt used correctly
thanks for the reply. so by using it correctly, i take it you mean as little of a spray as possible?
Old 06-22-2008, 03:05 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

when i use it , and have to from time to time ,i use 2 people, , the person inside i tell them to go ahead and try to start , after the engine is already spinning so its not as hard on it , i dont spray it directly in the air box , i hold it back and slightly mist it in ,doesnt take much, its really best to diagnose and fix the problem, lot less to repair problem, than replace engine

Last edited by SCUFFY828; 06-22-2008 at 03:06 PM. Reason: added to
Old 06-22-2008, 03:40 PM
Too cool for school

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to taylorking Send a message via Yahoo to taylorking
so am i anywhere close when i told him what he should do to fix it? lol im 16 but i think i had a good idea
Old 06-22-2008, 03:50 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorking View Post
so am i anywhere close when i told him what he should do to fix it? lol im 16 but i think i had a good idea
testing the glow plug system yes would be a good place to start , to remove the glow plugs to test them woud be overkill, they can be tested very easily by just unhooking the harness right outside the valve cover , and test them there , 97 models were bad for relays and the gow plugs themselves , so just a few minutes of diag would tell the tale
Old 06-24-2008, 07:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95dieselsmoke View Post
hey guys, i have a freind who has a 97 psd and his truck has been starting hard in the mornings, so to get it started he has been using starting fluid. i know that it is bad for diesels, but i don't know what exactly it is harming. can anybody please tell me what this will do harmwise to the engine? thanks in advance.
I gotta ask, where did you hear starting fluid (ether) is bad for diesel engines? It's made for diesel engines.

As Scuffy pointed out when used improperly it can do damage, But I took your question as what is bad about ether being used to start a diesel engine itself right? The truthful answer is if you buy quality brands, nothing. If there was something inherently wrong with using ether then Caterpillar wouldn't be putting automatic ether injection systems in their engines built for the North American market would they?

Some will say it hurts the cylendars, how? The name brands all have additives for upper cylendar lube, besides, the injectors are spraying fuel also (unless they aren't and that's why it won't start in the first place) .

Now I've seen heads practically ripped off of blocks with the bolts stretched almost a quarter inch from ether, but it wasn't the ether's fault , it was the guy who sprayed a half a can into the intake's fault.

So, next time you see someone post on here that "ether is bad" and nothing else,(always reminds me of Mr Mackey from South Park) ask them why it's bad.

Here's the proper way to say it " ether is bad in the hands of the unschooled"
and they should read Scuffy's way, hard to hurt an engine that way.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Shade tree mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlandS View Post
I gotta ask, where did you hear starting fluid (ether) is bad for diesel engines? It's made for diesel engines.

As Scuffy pointed out when used improperly it can do damage, But I took your question as what is bad about ether being used to start a diesel engine itself right? The truthful answer is if you buy quality brands, nothing. If there was something inherently wrong with using ether then Caterpillar wouldn't be putting automatic ether injection systems in their engines built for the North American market would they?

Some will say it hurts the cylendars, how? The name brands all have additives for upper cylendar lube, besides, the injectors are spraying fuel also (unless they aren't and that's why it won't start in the first place) .

Now I've seen heads practically ripped off of blocks with the bolts stretched almost a quarter inch from ether, but it wasn't the ether's fault , it was the guy who sprayed a half a can into the intake's fault.

So, next time you see someone post on here that "ether is bad" and nothing else,(always reminds me of Mr Mackey from South Park) ask them why it's bad.

Here's the proper way to say it " ether is bad in the hands of the unschooled"
and they should read Scuffy's way, hard to hurt an engine that way.
thanks for the input MarlandS. i have no clue either way if it was bad for them or not. i just told my freind that i had heard it was bad for them, and he asked me why? and i told him i was unsure of the effects it does to the engine so i figured i would get other opinions about it on here. and you say name brands are ok for them? can you give me an example of a name brand? he is using a can called THRUST starting fluid. thanks again. anybody else have an opinion on this subject?
Old 06-25-2008, 08:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Big K Send a message via MSN to Big K Send a message via Yahoo to Big K
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlandS View Post
Only if used right and should NOT be used on Newer Engines.
The "Diesels" you are referring to are NOT PSD's.

Donít use ether (starting fluid) to start a diesel engine. Ether has too high a flash point and when put up on glow plugs can blow the valve cover right off the engine.

You run a risk of hurting something EVERY time you use starting fluid on the engine.

And you ARE doing damage to it EVERY time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.