Single injector change without draining rails? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 07:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Single injector change without draining rails?

I am wanting to change my number 3 cyl injector. Is it possible to just pull the old injector out and quickly insert the other one without draining everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2013, 07:51 AM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

Not worth the risk. There is a good chance that the copper seal at the bottom of the injector will stay in the cup rather than come out with the injector and you will then watch all the oil and fuel run into the cylinder till you can get a tool into the cup to pull out the seal. Draining the fuel is easy as is draining the HPO. Cleaning an oil spill into the cylinder, too me, is not worth the the time as compared to waiting for the HPO and fuel to charge back up.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the advice! So i should just pull both plugs out and drain the fuel bowl?
Old 09-23-2013, 08:18 AM

No matter what you do you will have drainage into the cylinder. Pull the plugs inside the VC area (not the ones in the valley or the ends of the head). Drain as much as will come out. Fuel, like the HPO, is stored above the injector so draining it will only remove a little of what is there. What you are really doing by "draining the system" is relieving the pressure built up on the injectors. This pressure is what would drain more than normal fluid into your hole.

So relieve the pressures, pull the injector, clean the cup as best you can but do not use a cotton rag to check for loose old injector parts (these parts are machine cut which would pull/tear the rag leaving tufts in the cup, I use shotgun swabs crumpled on a long needle nose pliers), lub/install/lube again the new injector and o-rings, install injector, torque, pull glowplug, pull fuse 22, throw a heavy rag (wifes' beach towel) over the glowplug port bump the starter a couple times till the cylinder is clear, install glowplug and start the truck. She will smoke for a while, this is normal as the cylinder and manifold are going to be holding some of the spilled oil in them.

Last edited by BigFuel; 09-23-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Awsome man i really appreciate the quick reply!
Old 09-25-2013, 05:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

So i got it changed out fine and it runs good now but its sounds like its got a kind of miss at idle. I went out and started it this morinig and it idled fine so i guess its when its warmed up. I can rev it up and it will idle down good then for a second or two it idles good then it starts missing again.Any ideas on cause?
Old 09-25-2013, 07:15 AM

How many miles on this injector? Do you have a DVOM? Pull the VC connection to that injector (in the valley, not under the VC). Set the meter to OHMs and put one lead to the center of the 5 pins in the connector. Put the other lead to each pin to the left and right of the center pin. What is the reading in those two systems?
Old 09-25-2013, 07:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I will have to wait to test them tell i get home but the injector is a thoroughbred reman
Old 09-25-2013, 07:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

the other injectors are stock with 160,000 on them
Old 09-25-2013, 07:30 AM

I think that those are actually Industrial Injection remans. I don't know much about that company but right off im not worried so much about that yet. Do you also have a way of running buzz and contribution tests? iIf the truck only has a couple miles on it since your swap this man simply be air in the HPO or fuel system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.