Advice Needed for a Budget Minded SoCal Trans Rebuild - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 09:04 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Advice Needed for a Budget Minded SoCal Trans Rebuild

1997 F350 E4OD Powerstroke 4wd. My truck started slipping bad at 70mph on the freeway and then started doing the flashing OD light and limp mode shifting about three months ago. I towed it home and parked it since then because I did not have the money to do a rebuild. My wife has a few health issues and they drain every ounce of money from our lives. The trans has 177k on it so even if it is just a cracked torque converter like people have suggested, I feel that a rebuild is in order so that I am not dropping the trans again in three months. In the meantime I was talking to John Woods about building the trans. That is a $4500 option that would give me the piece of mind of a solid transmission, but as I said money is tight. My truck has 35" tires, a tymar intake, straight 4" exhaust and an edge chip. So it is not a 450hp beast requiring a BTS or John Woods Trans, but I may put injectors, efuel etc on it one day and have 400hp. Again, with money being so tight I don't know when that will happen or if it will ever. I live in SoCal so there are a thousand trans shops around. I have found one that has a great reputation and will do a rebuild with installation of a factory spec e4od for $2000 with a three year/36k mile warranty. So here are the questions...

If I am able to squeeze a couple hundred extra dollars out, what should I upgrade to try and build a little bit stronger of a transmission? I assume first on this list is a billet torque converter, but what do you think? Is a billet torque converter a waste of money with a factory grade transmission?

Does anyone have any real world experience with a Southern California Trans rebuilder that you would like to suggest or complain about?

If I could, I would just drop the money for the John Woods trans, but I just can't at the moment.

Thanks

Last edited by Doctorsmack03; 09-18-2013 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Truck Info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2013, 09:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think a billet TC is mandatory, even on a stock truck.

However, I would get the code ran first. Could be just electrical. Even the clip code could just be the TC, mine was. Got a 6.0 converter and Tugger 2 shift kit and the trans is solid.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:43 PM

What is the best way to get the code read? The edge chip gave me a p1728 code, but I'm assuming we are talking about a real code reader? Or is that along with the 70mph every 30 second slip enough to diagnose it?
Thanks
Old 09-18-2013, 10:16 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Get a real code reader first of all, and y not get a tc and vb from jw? Pm phillipjon he has a guy in so cal he very highly recommends for an upgraded rebuild, at a great cost too, I forget the name of the shop but when I lived in SoCal he recommended it to me when I was looking for a built trans to hold my dream of an engine lol
Old 09-18-2013, 10:17 PM

One of the weird things I noticed during investigating was that the main harness that plugs in on the side of the trans was soaked in fluid. Is that residual oil or tranny fluid from up top or is it possible for fluid to leak through that connector?
Old 09-18-2013, 10:19 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
You need to find out what the fluid is and look for where it could be leaking from, is it redish or blackish
Old 09-18-2013, 10:33 PM

I'll attack that in the morning. Frustration got the best of me and I walked away without getting too deep into it yet. I did a major clean up about a year ago when I found a rat had made a nest in the valley of the motor. I gunked, etc to get it cleaned up. There is somewhat of a trap where this harness is on the passenger side of the trans. My first thought was that the gunk, oil and water I had washed off of the top drained right through this area and some of it never washed out.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:11 AM

It turns out the fluid in the harness is oil, etc coming from the motor. Obviously you don't want the harness to be wet, but I highly doubt that is my only issue.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
If you end up needing a trans..get a Ford reman...add a better converter and have fun.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:24 AM

I thought about doing a Ford Reman before. I had a 1992 F150 that I blew the e4od in and then did a local shop rebuild. It ran fine, but I only got 30k out of it until the rebuilt unit blew. Am I correct in assuming that the reman unit will have all of the latest and greatest parts Ford has available? I know it won't have a billet shaft, etc. But, I assume that anything that had been tried and proved unreliable like an aluminum planetary would no longer be in there? And what kind of horsepower rating is the factory rebuild good for with a triple disc converter? I'm not looking for 200k miles of longevity at 500hp, but does 100k at 400hp sound reasonable or is that a BTS and John Woods only deal?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.