Questions on 94 F350 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 06:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Questions on 94 F350

Good morning guys,

I am looking for a PSD for a work truck, will be doing home building. Saw this 94 PSD fairly close to home for me and am wondering if the body is too beat up to make the low miles worth it. Also, what would be reasonable price range if it runs well? I don't want to spend more than $4,000 on one if I have too.

Supposedly only has 65k miles, I do not know about transmission or what trim level it is, I have inquired about it, found it on Craigslist.

Attached is a picture of it

EDIT: I usually am not a fan of purchasing a truck that I know was used as a plow truck because you never know how much wear and tear was put on it, should that be a concern on this one?

Thanks guys!

Learning a lot just reading away
Attached Thumbnails
Questions on 94 F350-f350.jpg   Questions on 94 F350-f350-2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2013, 07:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Plowing is hard on any truck, even these. But if you're looking to get in under $4K, and want a 4x4, you're gonna get something, er, well-used. That truck is an XL for sure. First, you want to confirm that it's a PSD; there were three different diesel engines in the '94 trucks. If it's a PSD, then it has a manual tranny.

Given its commission, the 65k on the odometer belies the run hours on the engine. Still, it's probably equivalent to a truck with 150,000-ish miles, which is still pretty "young".

Thing to look out for is RUST. That salter - back of the frame, bed, rear axle, rear fuel tank, skid plates, etc. will probably be super crusty. Also carefully inspect the rad support for rust.

Good running engine, solid ZF5 and the Dana 60 up front are worth $4K, if that's what they're asking.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:42 AM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Agreed with this, big thing with plow trucks is going to be all the rust, if it's auto it will not be a powerstroke but an idi or turbo idi, still a strong and dependable motor, just not a powerstroke
Old 09-18-2013, 12:17 PM

Since a truck with a manual tranny could be any of the engines, you want to check the 8th digit of the VIN. An "F" denotes it came with a Powerstroke (7.3L DIT), a "K" denotes the 7.3L IDI Turbo. And IIRC, "M" denotes the normally-aspirated 7.3L IDI. Cheers!
Old 09-19-2013, 04:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So I have gotten some information from him, some of it was what I wanted to hear and some of it wasn't!

It is an automatic, so the PSD is out unfortunately. I understand the International isn't a power house but is it still solid and worthwhile?

He hasn't driven the truck much in the last 6 years, since he has owned it. He has not used the salt spreader at all.

I am thinking about waiting for a PSD to come available but I don't have an unlimited time to wait for one.

Thanks for all your help guys
Old 09-19-2013, 04:59 AM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Still you shoul take a look, even not being the powerstroke it is still a dependable work horse to have around
Old 09-19-2013, 05:47 AM

Is it turbocharged?
Old 09-19-2013, 04:01 PM

If it is a plow truck, the front springs are most likely wooped, you can tell how much by he amount of + camber in the front, check the u-joints, check and smell the tranny fluid, the rear spring and shock mounts, I paid $4700.00 w\ western plow, knowing all the work that had to be done, I wanted it, its getting hard to find our trucks here in NJ, and all of the above were replaced among other things, but to me it was worth it. I now have a good reliable obs 7.3 that will last for many years. Same with anyone, if you really want the truck and put some work in it, to some it might not be worth it, but for others it might be.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:25 PM

Not worth the 4k. MAYBE in snow season it would be worth that to someone who would make the money back plowing in ONE season. For a project truck, you would have THOUSANDS into it and it still would only be worth 4k

I bought one similar to it 2 years ago for 1000 then did some odds and ends and sold it for 3500(in snow season)
Again a 94 IDI non turbo auto XLT w 100k on it
Old 09-23-2013, 05:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for all the input guys!

I went and drove it on Sunday, and it was just too rough. The engine sounded and ran well, but it shifted around the low gears fairly roughly. Also would cut out when switching from 4wd to 2wd.

Rust was bad, most would have been able to be fixed, but under the driver side door was really bad, so bad that the floor board where the seatbelt connected was hanging about 3 inches below the truck, so there was essentially no anchor point, meaning the seatbelt was pointless.

Thanks for weighing in, like in most cases you never know till you go and check it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.