Easiest way to access fuel ports behind heads - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 06:10 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Easiest way to access fuel ports behind heads

I did e-fuel a month or so ago and ever since then ive been dealing with a very slow leak that is bad some days and others doesnt leak at all. Problem is i cut the tubes heading to the back of the heads and just double clamped some hose clamps on it and doesnt quite seal all the way. I didnt want to pull the turbo because i was lazy but now im sick of loosing green gold on the ground and want to fix it. Whats the easiest way to get at those ports. And am i correct they are 1/8 npt ports?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2013, 07:23 AM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Pull the turbo and i believe you are correct.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:26 AM
Chapter Director

As for pulling the turbo, can i just unbolt the turbo from the pedestal or does the pedestal have to come out at the same time? id rather not mess with the bolt in the back if i can get away with it
Old 09-17-2013, 07:40 AM
the baconator

pedistal has to come out at the same time. the pedistal bolts to the turbo from the bottom. you probably can get to the fittings without removing to turbo, but don't quote me. i vaguely remember a thread on here where a guy did that. use plenty of PB blaster or equivalent on the bolts. you will need a 15mm swivel socket for the bottom two collector bolts, a 13mm socket for the top two and a 10mm swivel socket (1/4 drive works best for the rear two) for the pedistal bolts. replace the o rings while you are in there. sometimes the bottom two collector bolts don't work with the swivel socket in which case you will need a wrench that has been made to fit
Old 09-17-2013, 08:10 AM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryknight View Post
pedistal has to come out at the same time. the pedistal bolts to the turbo from the bottom. you probably can get to the fittings without removing to turbo, but don't quote me. i vaguely remember a thread on here where a guy did that. use plenty of PB blaster or equivalent on the bolts. you will need a 15mm swivel socket for the bottom two collector bolts, a 13mm socket for the top two and a 10mm swivel socket (1/4 drive works best for the rear two) for the pedistal bolts. replace the o rings while you are in there. sometimes the bottom two collector bolts don't work with the swivel socket in which case you will need a wrench that has been made to fit
Is it possible to unbolt the turbo from underneath the pedestal? But now that im thinking more about it, i think i could just use compression tube fittings, that willl be alot easier. what size tube is it from the back of the heads?
Old 09-17-2013, 08:46 AM
the baconator

compression fittings would be easiest. i want to say the lines are 1/4" but the may be 3/16" i can't remember. and there is no way to unbolt the turbo from the pedistal.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:20 AM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryknight View Post
compression fittings would be easiest. i want to say the lines are 1/4" but the may be 3/16" i can't remember. and there is no way to unbolt the turbo from the pedistal.
I read a thread where a guy chimed in saying he did that but no one else was able to confirm that. Thats why i asked. But yea i suppose ill try compression fittings before i go tearing the turbo off and screwing up something else like i always do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.