broke down with fuel leak and an axle leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2013, 08:05 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation broke down with fuel leak and an axle leak

To make a long story short I was on a long road trip and burnt threw the 2nd tank way faster than the first tank and realised there was a problem about the same time I smelled diesel. Pulled over and steam billowed every where. Found a major leak in the rubber hose that goes from the front of the drivers head to the front of the fuel filter. Couldn't fix it without a new hose so I had it towed. While waiting for the truck I saw the passenger side of my front axle was leaking gear lube. The truck was parked at an angle but still should not have done that. The truck is now 200 miles from home in the four corners area of New Mexico. My plan is to go swap the fuel hose, tope off the front end a few times and limp it home. Now will I have to blead my injectors or will I be able to get the truck to start? Also when it makes it home how hard will it be to reseal the front axle? Its a 95 f350 4door 4 wheel drive. I have only had the truck for a month now so it was sad to see it leave on the flat bed. Any advice is apreciated.... I could use it big time!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2013, 08:27 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You blew a return line. No worries there seeing as how it will bleed rather quickly and fire up. As far as the axle our axles only have inner axle seals. To replace that you are going to basically rebuild the whole pumpkin since it has to be pulled to get to the seal
Old 09-15-2013, 08:34 PM
Premium Member

I have never done that. Is it something that someone with basic to good mechanical know how can do? Or would I be in way over my head?
Old 09-15-2013, 08:50 PM
CSP Resident Spooby

I rebuilt my whole front axle (has a pretty severe leak from the L/F axle seal). It really wasn't all that hard. It looks intimidating, but with a little patience and help you can easily do it yourself. When I pulled my front differential apart, I used a big socket to and small hammer to tap the new seals into place, and it worked perfect! The only issue I ran into was that I could not get the differential itself to seat back into place when I was reassembling it. Stuck the diff in the freezer for a few hours and it popped right back into place!

If I remember right, the front differential does not turn unless the hubs are locked in, so I think you'll be fine getting home with the leak. I would verify that before you try it though.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:53 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

just pay good attention to how it all comes apart and put it together the exact same way. As far as what shims go where on the diff. You will be fine if you are careful with it
Old 09-15-2013, 08:56 PM
Premium Member

Thats what I thought to so I was rather confused on why it started leaking with the hubs unlocked. i remember one time right after I got it I was crawling under it and could turn the drivers side u joint but not the passenger one. didnt think anything of it then. now im wondering if my passenger hub wont unlock. if it really was unlocked and the axle wasnt spinning why did it start leaking after a 250 mile drive but never leaked before?
Old 09-15-2013, 08:58 PM
Premium Member

ok, so if i stick with the same shims i shouldn't need any measuring tools or to reshim it then? I don't have any specialty tools that's why im asking.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:58 AM
CSP Resident Spooby

I don't either, I just made sure the shims went back where they came from. No problems so far, and that was probably 25 or 30k miles ago

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 09-16-2013, 11:44 AM
Premium Member

For my axle seal is there any where that anyone has seen to get a seal kit for the hole front axle, by the sounds of things i should do them all. also for the rubber hose that goes from the front of the head to the fuel bowl everyplace I have talked to has said that is a ford only part. I dont really want to put another rubber on one because this one dry rotted and cracked so I would kinda like to replace them both with steel braided lines, has anyone done that or know if anyone sells them or should I just throw rubber ones in again?
Old 09-16-2013, 12:01 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

just go to a local hydraulic shop and they will fix you up. Ford ones suck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.