Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Need advice looking at buying first 7.3

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  166666 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys thanks in advance. I've been looking at buying a diesel for sometime now I've never owned one, I only know what I read on them so I was wondering what y'all thought, I found a 1997 f250 xlt crewcab 4x4, she has 290000 miles on her for 5000$ everything in and out looks fine but I know nothing about the diesel so any input would help, I'll just be using it as a work truck for my land pulling and hauling stuff. Was thinking of asking to lower price to do a tune up just to replace small things. Thanks guys plus here's a pic and oh yea forgot it automatic tranny

See less See more
#2 ·
:ORG welcome:

Nice looking truck there! Is it a manual or auto? Beauty about diesels is the only tune up that needs done is maybe some Diesel Kleen, filters and some fresh oil!

#4 ·
You can't test the tq converter by revving the engine to 1100-1200 rpms (while holding the brakes) go from forward to reverse several times feeling for slow, sluggish or harsh engagements. Only downside to an OBS is the trans are not that strong (if not taken care of and abused) and the F250 have TTB dana 50 front ends which aren't as strong as the F350 solid axle dana 60. Check for blow-by... Idle the engine and remove the oil fill cap. If there is smoke oil is getting pasted the rings... A little is okay though!

#7 ·
The miles are a little on the high side, but that's not a big deal if it in great shape. I really think your going to want a F350 or if they did make them a Super Duty F250. My friends F250's have straight axels in the front, but he could have swamped them. I didn't pay that much attention to front ends other that you don't want that 2 piece axel. Next is look for oil leaks around the turbo. With those miles it should have been replaced, but you never know. Pulling the intake and checking for play is a good idea too. See if the oil cooler has been resealed as they will leak from time to time. Those are just some of the more annoying oil leaks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.