glow plug time? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 04:58 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question glow plug time?

I have a 95 f350 crew cab 4 wheel drive with 280000 miles and i have known that it could use glow plugs but its been getting harder to start. before i could cycle the key a few times and crank it and if it didn't start the first time it would start the 2nd time cranking it. now when its cold you can crank and crank and crank for ever. it will try to go every once in a while but just wont. but if you tap the gas pedal a bit then she will fire up. is this still just due to bad glow plugs or is there another issue? it runs fine once its running and starts right up warm. im leaving tomorrow for a weekend trip to lake Powell with the truck and wanna be sure she will be alright. also thank you every one on here for all your help. you have been a huge help to me, it is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2013, 05:48 AM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Either glow plugs or glow plug relay, go ahead and do both, your cold start issue will thank you, btw ever thought about plugging it in at night or in the morning before you go to start it?
Old 09-11-2013, 06:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Cycling the key does nothing. The glow plugs stay on much longer than the WTS light. Just leave the key in RUN for an extra 10-20 seconds before cranking. But if indeed it requires that additional glow plug run time, that indicates either weak glow plugs or a failing relay. The relay can be in a state where it closes, but provides inadequate voltage to the glow plugs. Test - turn the key to RUN, and measure the voltage at both big terminals on the relay. The "always on" terminal will be slightly higher, but if the _difference_ (aka. voltage _drop_) is more than 0.3V, the relay is shot; it just appears to be working.

Tapping the pedal does nothing either. There's nothing mechanical attached to it. It's equivalent to pressing the volume buttons on the radio when it's turned off.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:42 AM
Premium Member

Ok, I will have to look into those, so tapping the pedal while I'm cranking won't put a bit of extra fuel in there? And yea I can hear the solinoid clicking but I will have to voltage check it. If it won't start for me durring this trip because I don't have time to fix it before tomorrow would a touch of starting fluid be a terrible thing to use? And I have put thought into plugging it in but I really don't want to have to and here is why. Its not even cold yet and doing this. I want to use the truck to drive up the mountains in CO and go snowboarding all day. I won't be able to plug it in at the ski resorts so I'm going to need the truck to be able to start after a long cold windy day and maybe night on top of the mountain. With good glowplugs and a good relay would you think I could expect the truck to start or am I asking to much of the truck?
Old 09-11-2013, 07:53 AM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
It should do much better with good plugs and relay, but again, mite want to test to be sure it's the issue
Old 09-11-2013, 04:13 PM
Premium Member

Come winter time is there any tricks I can do to help the truck to start after a long day or night of being parked on top the mountain in the snow? I wont be able to plug it in. would it be a terrible thing to use some starting fluid?
Old 09-11-2013, 04:45 PM

Do NOT use starting fluid except in DIRE emergency, and if you do, you MUST disable your glow plugs (or things go boom....). As said above, good glow plugs and a good relay, AND good batteries, should do you. The key is to remember that the glow plug run time extends well beyond the WTS time. We routinely park our truck at our cabin in the winter, no electricity, 0F for days at a time. Just leave the key in RUN for about 30 seconds, turn the key and let it crank an extra 5 seconds or so, and it lights right up. Critical factors are:
* good glow plugs
* strong relay (minimal voltage drop)
* strong batteries
* starter in good shape
* good quality winter fuel, anti-gel (e.g. Power Service white-bottle, etc) added for good measure
Old 09-12-2013, 09:09 PM

Use Rotella 5w40 synthetic oil. It's much thinner at the colder temps. With the right oil, good glowplugs, good batteries, and good fuel you'll have no problems starting below zero. I used my truck every day commuting to night shift grooming on the mountain and never plugged it in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.