Gas Mileage for a 95 f350 powerstroke???? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 10:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Gas Mileage for a 95 f350 powerstroke????

Hi All...

I have a 95 F350 powerstroke...I am getting horrible mileage ...Been around 5-6mpg a gallon on average which I think is impossible...But I burn 1/2 of my rear tank going 50-55 miles.....

I need to know what are some issues that could be causing this mileage issue cause I'm going broke on constantly filling up....

I know a Ts performance isn't going to give me a miraculous different...

Need help and info...thanks so much....Truck has 260k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2013, 10:53 AM
Premium Member

You got fuel leak somewhere. Hell my F Super Duty gets 14 mpg running a 4:63 rear ratio and my truck has 263k
Old 09-09-2013, 11:32 AM

You better not be getting ANY "gas" mileage....

First, are you measuring based on the gauge? Don't. "Tank" is not a unit of measure. The only meaningful way to measure fuel mileage is to fill the tank, note the odometer reading (or zero out the trip odometer), drive 100 or so miles, fill the tank again, and divide the distance driven by the volume of fuel needed to refill.

Is this happening on both tanks?
Old 09-09-2013, 12:00 PM

Unhappy

Yes it is happening on both tanks.....I can't use my front tank on the highway cause when I get going at 70mph the front tank boggs out and I lose both mph and rpm...so i have to switch to rear tank, give it 20 sec and I get mph/rpm back...

What I noticed is everytime I go to fill my front tank , when I undo the gas cap there is a lot of vapor coming out..looks like white smoke vapor....I know the front tank with gas in it has a very slow slow leak since tank is old...so I try not to even use that tank.....

If I had a bad fuel leak I would notice in my driveway, but its clean no drips cause I only run my rear tank...Idk what to do, but I've done the gauge test and that tank should be 18 gallons in the rear.....if I burn half that which is 9 gallons and go only 50-55 miles....I'm only getting 6 mpg........

Any help guys to find a solution is much appreciated....
Note; my ABS light is on, on my dash ...been for awhile but that shouldn't cause this issue
Old 09-09-2013, 12:31 PM

Don't put gas in it!

You're assuming the gauge is anywhere near accurate. It was at best a guess when it rolled off the line. Goodness knows what it's reading now. If you actually had to put 9 gallons in the tank to refill it, then yes, you're getting 6 MPG. But again, the gauge has NO relevance to fuel economy.

Have you measured the fuel economy on the front tank in town, fillup-to-fillup?

One possibility is your tank switcher. It may be drawing from the rear tank, but returning to the front, when switched to the REAR position. That would make the fuel economy on the rear tank appear unusually low, but the front tank level would actually go up while driving on the rear tank. That might explain the vapor when you remove the <ahem> fuel cap for the front tank.

Have you jacked up each rear wheel and made sure the brake is not dragging? Doubt that would kill your mileage that badly, but it could be a contributing factor.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:48 PM

I did jack up the back rear tires , but they will not move...there in a locked position....the front move freely.....truck was in park position...my brake cable is broke so I have no e brake
Old 09-09-2013, 12:59 PM

Oh, yeah, if it's an automatic you'd have to shift it to Neutral.....
Old 09-09-2013, 02:34 PM

Unhappy i

I will try to check it again, but I'm boggled by this mpg issue I got going on....I never use Tue front tank.....id like to just do one big tank and call it a day....just dont want to spend thr money....just put 2 new batteries in today and that was $300...

Do you guys think it could be a fuel bowl issue or I would need new injectors....Idk what to do here...
Old 09-09-2013, 03:00 PM

Bring it in to get scanned, stop guessing or scratching your head. The scan will should give you some good clues to what direction to head in.
Call around to diesel shops, Fleet maintenance providers, Ford dealers. These motors do not read on all scanners so make it clear that all you want is codes read. Once you get the codes here is list of what they mean. Welcome to guzzle's Diagnostic Trouble Code list Web Page

Without scanning you will more than likely end up spending more than you should by throwing parts at the problem.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:32 PM

Don't panic until you measure you economy by going fill up to fill up ad dividing the miles driven by the amount of DIESEL you pump in. Also when you fill up the first time be consistant on how you fill up the second time. Same pump if you can. If you fill up and let it click twice, do it the same the next time. Guesstimating like you are is not accurate at all. I have noticed that it seems like the fuel gauges seem to take a while to start moving but once they do, they move kinda fast to the half full mark, then seem to stay there for a bit, then continue to drop.

Something that isn't too hard to check is checking the fuel pressure regulator screen. Google it and you will find instructions. If that is getting clogged it can cause bad DIESEL mileage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.