flamethowers...hehehehe - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2008, 10:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
flamethowers...hehehehe

so ive been coming up with ways to throw a large flame from my stack. reason being, im tired of dumbass kids around here. i got my truck egged and chased some kids down. im sure the 4 150W spotlights, loud stack and barking tires was enough to scare the hell out of them, but if i only had a LARGE flamethrower i probably could have made them cry. i want this truck to look like saitans child coming to eat somebodys face so i thought about using a propane setup. possible, but i would have to have a big propane tank under the bed......not really what i want. i have a 35lb./hour fuel injector. i am thinking about hooking a pump directly to the injector (walbro 255LPH that i have laying around) no return line, no pressure regulator. just straight pump to injector. there are a couple of problems with this. 1. its risky to blow off a fuel line. it would take a lot of work to make this safe 2. i have to find a way to fit this in my stack. not to mention having a small tank for gas. i doubt diesel would ignite with a spark lug. another issue i have is ignition. on a gas engine, you can ust take the -contact on the coil and run it to another coild (switched) for a spark signal. obviously this is harder on a diesel. i either need a switch that when in the on position, it turns on and off really fast (some type of capacitor maybe?) or use an ignition module and rig it up to a pulse from the engine (CPS maybe?) to trick it into thinking its a gas motor running then send a signal to the coil. any thoughts other than "not safe" or "illegal" because i onestly dont care lol. if anyone has anything that could help. please let me know and ill keep posting progress on the project.
jeff
BTW ive made successful flamethrowers on gas motors before. obviously diesel will be a lot harder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2008, 11:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like somebody is going to have alot of fun in Aberdeen.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:03 AM
Emergency Services

With my luck, I'd burn the truck to the ground!!!!
Old 05-27-2008, 12:13 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMule View Post
With my luck, I'd burn the truck to the ground!!!!
Thatís exactly what I was thinking, I bet those punks with the eggs would have a good laugh at me trying to put my flaming purple truck out.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to chopstx667
Man this sounds so extremely dangerous...

I've only seen flames come out of high performance diesel trucks but that's after their pull and everything is "winding down". Like double overtime for instance....Although, I'm sure he didn't build his engine for flames
Old 05-27-2008, 01:47 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
your spark doesnt have to spark multiple times. it can stay a steady arc and not hurt any thing. so a coil rigged to a 12 volt switchable power source ran to a spark plug in the stacks should work.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

yeah that sounds bout right someone posted pics of an obs a while back w/ 10 ft tall stacks r sumthinand they shot flames!
Old 05-27-2008, 09:33 AM

do it the same as a gasser with a coil on a switched 12v now for the fun of gettin fuel to the stacks you could use a old eather set up like the old log trucks had a line and a can push the tip down fuel goes out the zost
Old 05-28-2008, 11:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i made the fuel system. i used my old walbro 255 pump and a 35# fuel injector. it will be hooked up so the injector opens and the pump kicks on at the same time. i tested it out and it works perfectly. i just need an ignition source. if you leave a constant 12v hooked up to a coil it doesnt spark untiul you shut the power off. you only get 1 spark. thats why i need a switch that pulses really fast. ive been thinking about it all night. i just need to make a trip to my local electronics shop and see what i can put together to make it happen. i need a capacitor to take in power and when it fully charges it needs to release the power, sending it to a relay. then recharge. im just not sure what it will require. ill do some more research. once i build this thing, i can start hooing it up in the truck. i wont stop until i see atleast 4 foot flames lol. with as much fuel that was shooting from the injector, i should be able to shoot a LARGE flame.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:33 PM

is there some way to make a remotely activated bbq lighter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.