Stage 2's with Stock HPOP - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2008, 06:59 AM
Nuckin' Futz

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stage 2's with Stock HPOP

how many of you guys out there with OBS's run beans stage 2's with a stock HPOP and i assume its a 15* one at that. Ive been talking with bean about getting some stuff and he mentioned getting a better pump not dual just a better one. Im wondering if those of you who have stage 2's have had any problems with the stock HPOP setup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2008, 08:09 AM
Cynic

I've heard people running stage 2's both ways. Yes, a 15* pump will run stage 2's, but no where near as well as a 17*. If I remember correctly, you'll lose quite a bit of low end torque and your power band will be somewhat limited with the 15*. While you probably won't notice with daily driving, you will with a heavy load.

For $475 (new) from IH, it's a good idea to swap it out on your '97.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:00 AM
Banned

Do the 17* swap. It is definatly worth it. A 15* is just not enough for the stage II's. I use a 17* to run my Hybrids.......
Old 05-24-2008, 09:49 AM
Nuckin' Futz

thats what i was thinking and i probably would want to do it anyway cause its a remaned HPOP but everything is gonna have to wait till i get back from the sand box. thanks guys
Old 05-24-2008, 01:37 PM
Electrical Ogre

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
IH's new part number for the remaned 17* is 2589446C91
(just picked 'er up yesterday)
Old 05-24-2008, 02:06 PM
Nuckin' Futz

how much did that run you if you don't mind me asking. How much is a brand new one cause id hate to grenade a pump and have its shrapnel go all through out my new injectors
Old 05-24-2008, 02:15 PM
Nuckin' Futz

are you guys who are running the stage 2's are you running the stock turbo. I want a D66 but i don't think that ill be able to get it when i get the injectors. don't get me wrong cause i love smoke but i don't want to be rolling it while im sitting at a stop light and i don't know how that stock turbo will act.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:31 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Smoke depends more on tuning than anything else. I have noticed very little smoke difference from my stock turbo to the D-66. I got swamps injectors and the D-66 and a 17* pump. The pump made a good difference in my truck, not a huge difference but noticeable, especially when I watch the ICP. It was about $350 from eBay for mine. I got the new injectors because my old ones got crapped up from a bad load of fuel and I got the new turbo because the shaft broke in my old one. My stock turbo ran 32 psi and cleaned up my injectors pretty good until it broke from too much surging. I have found that I don’t need to replace good parts with high performance parts for the fun of it because they will break soon enough and force me to do it anyway.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I ran 2's for awhile with my stocker..loved how it screamed! Just watch the boost # and keep it under 30lbs and it will last till you can upgrade.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have stage 2's on a 15* pump and I can't set the CES light, but maybe I will be able to once I get some hotter tunes from Jody. All I have now is the 80econo, and it's a pretty fast ride, I can't wait to see what his extreme tunes will do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.