97 Fuel filter change - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2008, 04:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
97 Fuel filter change

Hey never changed my filter, I looked in my owners manuel and it was pretty vague, I need a step by step write up on draining the water and changing the filter. I tried to search with know luck. Also I noticed the owners manuel said that a "fuel filter" and "water Fuel" light should come on when I turn the key to start. Mine does not do this, how about you guys...Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2008, 04:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Heres what you need to do:
First you need to get up on the bumper and be able to look down on top of the filter housing (right in the center of the engine with a black cap). The cap may have a square cutout for a 3/8 ratchet or it may have slots in it for a bar layed side ways to fit in and be turned. Dont take it off yet.
Right under that cap on the side of the filter housing is a little yellow lever youll need to pull it towards you (i think) or whatever way it will go and youll hear fuel start pouring out the bottom of the engine (make sure you push it back the way it was before starting the truck). Once this stops you can remove the black cap and the filter should come out with the cap. Take the cap off the filter, replace the o rings and put the new filter on the cap and the installation is in reverse.
P.S. take a look inside the filter housing to make sure nothing is left in there so you dont break anything when you put the filter back in.
When you first go to start it, it may take awhile to start since you drain all the juice out of the filter housing, this is normal.
As for the lights not coming on mine dont stay on very long but they do come on if yours arent you might want to look to see if the lights arent burnt out or something along that route.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What type of filter should I replace it with? I was planning on just using a napa filter but don't mind buying something better..
Old 05-08-2008, 09:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I dont prefer wix because I have had pieces of the filter get stuck around the shaft that goes through the middle of the filter. I get my filters from Inland Truck Parts for about 23 dollars which is much cheaper than wix. Any name brand filter will do a good job just dont get something from the bargain shelf at walmart, better to be safe than sorry.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK so I got a filter and went to change it today, I noticed that the heater in the bottom seems to be broken. The little tack welds where the wire attaches to the plate under the filter have come loose. Will the heater still work, should I just ignore it or replace it. Is Ford my best bet on finding a new one. What exactly does this heater do for me. Does it just heat the fuel for start up or what ???????thanks
Old 05-08-2008, 07:21 PM
Shaking the Bush Boss

You should replace it, or depending on the temps in your area, unplug it. If the tack welds are broke, sooner or later, it will cause a short, and pop a mega fuse (#22 I think) and your truck will not start. Theres a thread somewhere here, thats about changing the heater element to a newer style, thats not as liable to break.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I second chuck's statement on changing your fuel heater. It can and will short out a mega fuse and leave you stranded on the side of the road. That is exactly why I dont use wix filters anymore. the bottom stayed in the filter housing and when I put the new one in the old bottom pressed down on the heater and broke it which shorted out several fuses and left me on the side of the road in the dead of winter. So again replace it. I usually dont like to go to dealerships if I can help it. I would just ask different shops including the dealerships and see who will do it for less.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.