Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Finished the gauges, now Q's...

1K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  kx592 
#1 ·
Well I got my gauges in last night. My friends did them for me since I dont know exactly what im doing yet :hehe:. the pyro is reading correctly and same with the boost but the trans temp dont move. the needle jumps a little when i turn the key but the gauge never reads anything close to 100. I crawled under and felt the probe and it felt at least 100. any ideas?

#2 ·
The little box might not be getting power. It has to have 12v of juice going to it to work. I'm not sure what it's called, but I know that little box takes the signal from the probe and turns it into a useful signal for the gauge.

#3 ·
Anyone else got an idea of what is going on here? And also im only bulding like 15psi boost when I got the peddle to the floor up a hill. is that a typical number for the e 7.3's

#4 ·
boost seems low, unless you dont have a programer. also. I had to heat my trans up with a torch for a bit to get it to read, then it worked fine.... also it takes some driving to get your trans to heat up.

#5 ·
my tranny temp gauge naver moves unless im pulling a loaded trailer. But the lowest reading on my isspro gauge in 140 degrees. also 15 psi boost for a stock 7.3 is pretty normal.

#6 ·
Yea im running a stock truck besides the gauges and intake (DIY intake). So should i torch up the trans tomorrow?

#8 ·
i dont know if i am the only one that had to do this, but i couldnt get mine to move intill i torched it... and one of my buddies had the same thing. but my gauge starts at zero. so it moves pretty quickly now.

#10 ·
mine starts at 100 and it only moves to like 110 or less. And I gotta be on a highway for that to happen. And I only see 16psi with an empty bed, no programmer. On cruise on 75mph with a loaded up 32ft 5th wheel it hit 20. Stock turbo and everything. That was before the S&B intake and wastegate delete mod if it makes any difference I dunno.

#11 ·
but yeah mine starts at 100 and it takes a good amount of driving to warm it up. The hottest it ever got was pulling a uhaul trailer from Ohio to Montana and that was only 174 degrees. if you powerbrake it a bunch...which really isn't good for the torque converter...it will warm up pretty fast. Honestly i don't know that i would worry about it. I can get my boost up to 21 with my chip in the 50hp setting empty but ive got some mods so...

#12 ·
If you drive the truck, you should see tranny temps on a stock cooler of around 60-90 degrees above ambient after about 10 miles.

For the boost, it should always move, stock or modified.... 0-15ish (stock) or 0-25ish (chipped)...

For the PYRO - should idle at 2-300* should cruise at 5-600* and get up to around 1300 @ WOT w/ a chip...

#13 ·
my pryo is crusin on the high way at 5...is that bad? whats that mean exactly?

#14 ·
For the tranny, I've seen mine go as high as 175 but that was 4 hours into a trip from Wisconsin to West Virginia, (first 2 hours it barely got above 150) cooler temps is GOOD!! my tranny will last a lot longer, as for boost, yeah a stock truck it barely moves unless your really puttin your foot into it or towing a load up hill, at 70 mph mines at like 3 normally. as for your pyro, 5 = 500 degrees which is really good, some pro's claim anything over 6 and your wasting fuel if your on the flats with NO LOAD! so I use mine as a way to save fuel, keep the RPM's under 2k and the pyro below 6 and I'm getting a pretty constant 18 mpg outta mine.. ymmv.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.