time for gauges on the 97!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2008, 12:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to kx592
Question time for gauges on the 97!!!

Well I was finally convinced to get a set of gauges (3). I want to get a trani temp. pyro (EGT gauge) and boost. I can install the pillar and all of that but I do not understand or know where to tap in to get the readings from. if im not specific enough please just tell me and ill try to explain further. any help is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2008, 12:36 PM
a truck

They arent too hard I had all my guages in my 95 tapped in, wired and installed in the pillar with all the lighting wired and everything in three hours.

For the pyro you are going to have to drill and tap into the exhaust manifold, the best way is to get under the truck and drill into the drivers side manifold. It is not that easy to reach but if you take off the front driveshaft if you truck is 4wd then you should be able to get it. Then you just run the wire that comes with the gauge to the back of the gauge.

For the tranny temp, on the drivers side of the tranny right above the tranny pan, there is a probe that is normally used for testing. What you do is remove the plug in there and install the probe that comes with the tranny gauge. Then run that wire to the back of the gauge.

Then for the boost guage you are going to splice into the rubber hose running to the MAP sensor on the passenger side of the firewall. Then run the boost line to the back of the boost guage.

Hope this helps let me know if you have any more questions
Old 04-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am going to be in the same process as soon as I get my truck back from the dealer. I'm not sure where but I am a marine diesel mechanic so it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out. From what I understand the pyro sender needs to be adapted but I might be wrong; wait till I get my truck i'll figure it out
Old 04-28-2008, 12:42 PM
a truck

It is all pretty easy to figure out, the only difficult one is the pyro since you have to drill and tap the manifold.

What do you mean by adapting the pyro sender.

Also I see you have an 05 for that you are also going to have to drill and tap the boost tube I am pretty sure since you can only splice into the MAP line on the 94-97's and Im not to sure about the tranny connection but I think it is still a transducer you put in the diagnostic port.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

As soon as I get the truck back I'll take a look; by the way, what's the best source for the gauges?
Old 04-28-2008, 03:06 PM

drilling and taping is my hobbie pretty much. I restore old beat up dirt bikes and dril and tap dam near everything. that will be my easiest part. Im not too good with the wiring.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:07 PM

O good thing you brought that up smarinediesel. I have no clue where to buy the gauges and the pillar.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:07 PM
a truck

I would talk to our site sponsor Raul@Stealthautomotive, he can get you great deals on a set of three gauges, boost, trans and pyro with a pillar for 300

Check it out Stealth Automotive. 1999-07
Old 04-28-2008, 03:08 PM
a truck

For your 97 Ive found the dual guage pillar but pm him and ask him about the triple guage and Im pretty sure he can hook you up he has great customer service and prices, His username is Raul@Stealthautomotive
Old 04-28-2008, 03:15 PM

Thanks for the info PSD0389. I appreciate it!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.