White smoke at idle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 05:54 PM
Made In America

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
White smoke at idle

Hey guys just bought my first OBS and I love it! Mods done are BTS tranns and HPOPs, Hypermax turbo and stage 2 injectors, FASS fuel pump, DP tuner, ARP head studs and BANKS intercooler. ITs not a lot, but it deffinately it pushing out a fair amount of white smoke at idle. So is this a bad thing or it that just because of the injectors and whatnot? Im thinking maybe its because he has a K&N style intake which will soon be changed out for a 6637. Idk just curious if its something that needs to be investigated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2013, 04:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

White smoke is either coolant or raw fuel. The k&n is not gonna make it smoke white. And I know what your thinking its could've dusted the turbo I don't buy it I've been running k&n on several vehicles for many thousands of miles and never damaged a turbo. If turbo was dusted it shouldn't smoke at tilde because your not building any boost it would be up in rpm where you would notice turbo problems

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 07-06-2013, 06:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.deere View Post
White smoke is either coolant or raw fuel. The k&n is not gonna make it smoke white. And I know what your thinking its could've dusted the turbo I don't buy it I've been running k&n on several vehicles for many thousands of miles and never damaged a turbo. If turbo was dusted it shouldn't smoke at tilde because your not building any boost it would be up in rpm where you would notice turbo problems

White smoke is anti freeze and smells kinda sweet maple syrup like. White/greyish smoke that smells like fuel is oil burning, black smoke is raw fuel.

Is your oil level or coolant tank going down over shorter periods of time? Is this happening only at startup cold or all the time? Need some more details to help u out.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Take a look in coolant resovoir and a wiff of it too. Smell like varnish?

Old 07-06-2013, 07:15 AM
Made In America

Hey guys sorry suffering from a recent brain injury tryig my best here. The smoke is all the time, and gets worse as you turn the tuner up to its hot settings. Notsure on the smells im flying today away from the truck. When I accelerate and get on it turns to black normal like it should.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:24 AM
Premium Member

I have a 2006 6.0l that smokes heavy until warm then no smoke . It's heaviest at idle and when you accelerate. It also jumps around sometimes at idle. Has all new injectors, high pressure oil pump, egr delete done and no programmer. It does use oil and has 199,000 miles. It doesn't use any coolant. I just pulled a large boat back from miami and nothing changed under stress. I'm so confused. No codes. Please help!!!
Old 07-06-2013, 07:31 AM
Made In America

Thread jacker...?

Old 07-06-2013, 07:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavol64 View Post
I have a 2006 6.0l that smokes heavy until warm then no smoke . It's heaviest at idle and when you accelerate. It also jumps around sometimes at idle. Has all new injectors, high pressure oil pump, egr delete done and no programmer. It does use oil and has 199,000 miles. It doesn't use any coolant. I just pulled a large boat back from miami and nothing changed under stress. I'm so confused. No codes. Please help!!!
Gavol,

I suggest go through your Glow plug system and add some RevX. Also, 6.0 injectors like synthetic much better if your not using it already.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian29 View Post
Hey guys sorry suffering from a recent brain injury tryig my best here. The smoke is all the time, and gets worse as you turn the tuner up to its hot settings. Notsure on the smells im flying today away from the truck. When I accelerate and get on it turns to black normal like it should.
Since its all the time that pretty much rules out GP system. As you turn up the tuner I am going to say its oil burning. As your tune requires higher oil pressure it is probably leaking more past the O-rings. Typically its the outer O-rings but it is possible the inner O-rings are leaking too. Outer O-rings can be an easy DIY job if your mechanically inclined wrenching on cars, if its internal (not as common) then they pretty much need rebuilt or buy a new one.

When you get back have a buzz test and Cylinder Contribution Test done. That will lead you to the culprit without having to do them all.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian29 View Post
Thread jacker...?

Ya, thread jacker, that's jacked up. Lol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.