Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Leaking fuel tank mod

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  kctyphoon 
#1 ·
Hey guys ,my front tank has seen better days and I now must replace it .I've read some older threads and am aware of the aftermarket tanks but I'm curious what is being used now by others .
If anyone has some insight for me I do appreciate it ,I will be ordering a tank this weekend hopefully with straps and trash the skidplate .
Is there anything else I might anticipate such as connectors and such ?I don't plan on removing the bed also

#2 ·
I ordered both of my tanks from Rockauto. They seem to be pretty good quality. I would look into new pickups for the sending units. Mine were completely deteriorated and pieced were floating around in the tank. I strongly recommend removing the bed.

#3 ·
Ordered new Spectra tank and straps yesterday from Rockauto and today I started to remove the skid plate and decided to measure this tank against what I had ordered and boy I'm glad I did .
My front tank is the small 43 inch ,16 gallon and I ordered the 19 gallon ,59 inches and straps . Thankfully my mistakes were on the weekend and were caught in time to change my order .
I plan to get the pickup from my local Ford store tomorrow in case it's needed at install time .Is is safe to assume the pickup is the same for the 16 vs the 19 ?:doh:

#4 ·
I ordered my pickups from ford also. I believe the pickup is the same for all tanks. I replaced the front and rear pickup with the same one. I believe I payed around 30bucks.

#5 ·
Appreciate the reply and suggestions ,Rockauto didn't list the pickup ,just the sending unit for about 113 bucks .
Does the pickup just fit into the sender ?

#6 ·
Yes the pickup slides onto the end of the sending unit. No need to buy a sending unit if yours works. If your pickup falls apart like mine did it leaves you with a quarter tank of fuel that you can't get to, this is why I suggest getting a new one.

#7 ·
Pickup is/was $35.00 from Ford today. Had to get it from KC and it'll be here tomorrow.
On removing the bed, the Bolts are a tad expensive, 28, for the front each 24 for the two middle each and 20 for the two rear each. Nuts are 4.00 each. In my opinion the carriage bolts most seem to recommend just won't cut it for me. As a aside the carriage bolts need washers to work properly.
While you have the bed off clean everything and paint it all before putting it back together.

#8 ·
Reviving this old thread. I have a leak at the bottom in my front tank, 97 F-350, Crew Cab, Long Bed, PSD Single Rear Wheel. It seems that the tanks listed on rockauto and other sites show the same tanks for gas and diesel. Is that correct? That the tanks are the same for gas and diesel? I want to get all the parts ordered before I drop it and remove the bed. Should I just replace both at the same time, since the labor to do the R&R would not take much more time anyway.

#10 ·
Check Amazon, Spectra brand. They've had the best price, esp. with the free shipping, that I've found. The F6C (front) is $95 shipped right now.

If you've got some buddies to help you, and a place to put it, yeah, it helps to remove the bed. But you're still getting under the truck at some time, to do the straps and skid plates. The advantage to doing one at a time is that you still have a running truck the whole time. Plus, you can run one tank empty and switch to the other tank before the truck stalls, so you never run the fuel system dry.

#11 ·
i dont remember what i paid, but i believe the best price i found for my rear tank was on ebay.. came with the straps, and nut/gasket or whatever you wanna call them.. still on my list of things to do since i havent put it in yet. what i DID do, was paint the bare metal tank with bedliner spray to help prevent rust. straps also.. IF you are removing the bed, might be worth it ya to take a pressure washer to frame and coat it with something.. i bought a gallon of chassis saver.. its like POR15 but some people seem to like it better. also, i would definately check out your rear leaf hangers and shackles since those are the first things to rust under our trucks. with your bed off, its the ideal time to swap those out too if there are showing signs of rot. i have to change those and my rear tank so im planning on doing them together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.