Valve Cover Pigtail Wiring - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 10:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Question Valve Cover Pigtail Wiring

I have a buddy who wired in new valve cover pigtails on his driver side bank on his 97. They were shot after 315,000 miles. Well the number 8 glow plug pin in the valve cover burned out immediately. That was the first red flag. The truck runs worse now then it did before, so I ran a buzz test on it and I didn't get anything from injector 6 & 8. I peeled back the loom on the plug to 6 & 8 and the splice looks good (solder and heat shrink) but I think he may have switched some wires. Anybody now how I can tell what wires should go where? I've soldered in new tails before, but I always did them one wire at a time to eliminate any guess work.

Is there a pin out spec with a volt meter to rule out wiring under the valve cover to the injectors? Could this have burnt a wire or damaged the idm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2013, 06:49 AM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cylinder 6 is the Lt. Green/Orange wire, #8 is Lt. Blue.

So looking at the plug with the retention clip on top the center pin is hard positive from the IDM (Pink/Yellow) one to the left is #6 and one to the right is #8. About all you can do without removing the VC itself is Ohm the three center pins to the block to test for shorts and Ohm the center pin to each of the injector pins to make sure there is continuity. The meter should read OFL to the block and as small as possible (but the same) from power through the injector coil.

Last edited by BigFuel; 07-02-2013 at 06:55 AM.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:38 AM

Well he had all three wrong on that last plug. I fixed them and ran another injector buzz test. All the Injectors buzzed this time, but the AE readout still came back with 6 & 8? The truck starts better now, but is still running rough. the truck also seems to have more blowby than it did before? He said he drove it about 25 miles since, could this cause that kind of engine damage?

Big Fuel do you have the wire colors for the three other plugs? Just to make sure they're all done up right.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:45 AM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Please call me Matt

1-Tan
3-Brown/Yellow
5-Tan/Black
7-Tan/Red

2-White
4-Brown/Lt. Blue
6-Lt. Green/Orange
8-Lt. Blue

It might have if the cylinders were firing out of order, sure. Oil issues don't normally cause any damage but fuel issues do. Is there any smoke? What color? Have you reset the PCM? If not the PCM/IDM may have killed 6 & 8 thinking they are still "bad". Pull the battery for 30 minutes and try again. Have you done the Ohm testing that I mentioned?
Old 07-09-2013, 08:54 AM

Well back to work on this project, had to put it on hold after I hit an elk in my 6.0 doing 65.

My bad luck doesnt stop there though, after I wired in all the pigtails right the truck wont even start? Its only building about 180 lbs of hpo. I'm fairly confident it needs a new motor now, it was a pretty heavy blue gray smoke, and lots and lots of blow by. I did disconnect the batteries to reset the pcm but never could get the truck to fire after that to check if the 6 & 8 code was still there. I did the ohm testing and while I could get continuity between pins on all the plugs, I never could get anything between the pins and the block on any plug?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.