High Pressure Oil line - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 01:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
High Pressure Oil line

im new to the forum and to the 7.3 PS. i am looking to buy a 96 f250 4x4 the guy said it runs great but the right high pressure oil line needs the o-rings replaced is that something to worry about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 08:31 AM
BANNED by Kris

Did he say where the oring is? There are several o-rings in the high pressure system. Usually it is in the IPR or ICP that needs the o-rings. The base of the fittings that go into the heads (that the HPO hose connects to) has o-rings, there are two large o-rings in the front and back of each head, and the are two plugs in each head under the valve cover that have o-rings.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

he basically said the pressure line that is on mounted on the right side of the engine needs the o-orings replaced the truck has 157k on it and he wants 4500.00 for it so im just not sure if it is a lemon or not it runs good though
Old 07-01-2013, 08:50 AM
BANNED by Kris

Next time you are there look for oil in the engine valley. If there is no oil on the ground then it can't be the big o-rings, those blow oil like crazy. Oil in the valley can come from several places. Get the truck hot and pull the oil fill cap. Hazing is fine, smoking is bad. Flip the cap upside-down and place is back over the port it came from. Does the engine blow the cap off or does it wiggle around a bit with the motor.

Sounds like quite the find there and for the price. If you like it then I say buy it. Note to you that these engines are expensive to fix. More if you are not handy with tools. 15 Qts of oil and filter can set you back a Bill if you are not savvy. Walmart has good prices on that stuff. Good luck
Old 07-01-2013, 08:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

im a ford guy and always done my own work but ive never owned a diesel
Old 07-01-2013, 09:02 AM
BANNED by Kris

It's...............different. Remember that these are not Ford engines and they were not meant to go into a truck. Some things are quite the tight fit in there. No timing chains, 2 oil pumps, cramped exhaust path, first (I believe) electronically controlled diesel in a Light Duty truck, and piss poor intake and exhaust. The CPS is a known weak point for the engine. Have a spare and 10mm 1/4 drive deep ratchet/socket in the glove box, ALWAYS. First chance you get pull the IDM and open it. If all good on the inside reseal the box as water is known to get past the old gasket maker seal. Pull the FPR and clean it. You'll more than likely find it all plugged up. A well loved engine will give you many many miles.

Last edited by BigFuel; 07-01-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

There are o-rings at the fittings where the hoses go into the HPOP and where the fittings where the hoses go into the heads (the hoses themselves don't have o-rings as therey are flared). Here are the factory part numbers for those:

(Ford) 5C3Z-9N693-A, (International) 1823790C1 (o-ring for HPOP hose to pump joint)
(Ford) F4TZ-9N693-A, (International) 1815874C1 (o-ring for HPOP hose to head joint)

They are regular (I want to say the might be) -5 and -6 o-rings, but whatever the size, make sure you use Viton o-rings. I had one of the HPOP fitting o-rings blow and lost 4 quarts in 10 miles (as usual my wife was driving it at the time). Cheers!
Old 07-01-2013, 02:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well thank y'all for the inputs so do would you recommend getting the truck
Old 07-01-2013, 02:19 PM
BANNED by Kris

Manual or Automatic? I think I would if the body is still good with no rot. That's personal thing as I can't stand bodywork or how much body shops charge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.