'97 F250 dsl supercab electrical - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 09:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question '97 F250 dsl supercab electrical

For a while now I have blown fuse 17 when going into to P unless care was taken to pass R.
Recently it doesn't matter the fuse goes when going P>D or D>P , anytime passing R.

Local mechanic looked a while ago and stated 'too much wiring in the steering column ...... it'll take quite e while' so I left it un-diagnosed.

Now I guess I gotta dive in. Once I've get the air bag out .......... ? any hints on what to look for other than frayed or otherwise damaged wire.
Tks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 07:40 AM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

Air bag????? What fuse box is the popped 17 fuse in? Under the dash or under the hood?
Old 07-01-2013, 11:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Airbag to get at wiring harness to check circuits.
I'm assuming I need to access all the stuff under the steering wheel, and that the cause is something rubbing associated with the gear shift where it rotates around the steering column??
#17 undeer the dash: dsl indicators,elect trans, guages, tach, buzzers, warning ind. Also affects cruise control

I'm just about to go out and take a look
Old 07-01-2013, 12:00 PM

No airbags pull straight towards yourself to get the horn cover off. First, if you have several fuses to spare, get under the truck on the drivers side of the tranny. You see a fist sized black thing that the wiring is attached to. Pull the plug off the Trans switch and run the selector on the column again to see if it pops a fuse. If it doesn't then the issue is the black thing shorting the system.

The Gear selector on the column looks like it is near the steering wheel but if you take the upper and lower covers off you will see that the is a selector tube that runs down to just past the center of the column. This is where the wiring for the key switch is. If the issue is the trans selector look here. Otherwise all the other wires in the column are near the Multi-Function switch (turn indicator). All accessible without pulling the steering wheel off.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Might also be the neutral safety / range selector switch. It's on the tranny, not in the column. Test idea (pure speculation, since I'm a 5-speeder) - disconnect the switch on the tranny, and work the shifter in a way that would normally blow the fuse. If the fuse doesn't blow, that tends to point the finger at the switch. If it still blows, then indeed the tube on the column might be pinching some other wire(s). Not a conclusive test, but might help narrow it down.

As a temp workaround, you could try starting it in Neutral, see if that at least keeps it from blowing.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the hints. Too darn hot now to work outside. I'll try 'em next day off.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK, I'm no real mechanic so..........
Located the switch thingy on the tranny. I've had issues unplugging things before so prior to breaking something how do I release the latch. Looks like a flat blade screwdriver pushed into the gap will do it ?????

And, I've got the bottom half of the steering column cover off but the black plastic on the ignition prevents the lower half from coming off. What next.

Thanks for hints and suggestions........ much appreciated.

Got the tranny unplugged. Without it connected no start so not a real test as fuse only seems to blow when engine running - not that i've done a lot of shifting when not running. Shifting not running both plugged in and not doesn't seem to blow.
With cover loose I did get it to blow when upper cover was held in place and not when cover is held away from column and 'normal' position.
Soooooo........

Last edited by albertaangler; 07-03-2013 at 09:36 AM. Reason: new info
Old 07-03-2013, 09:41 AM

Tilt the wheel all the way down. Look under the ignition switch and you'll see what looks like a small ball bearing in a hole. Rotate the key to run and use a pin tool to push the "bearing" up towards the ignition lock. Slide the whole ignition lock out of the column. Put the gear selector in "1" and pull off the top cover.

Last edited by BigFuel; 07-03-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

BigFuel
Thanks for you input..... much appreciated
Now that I've got the top cover off and gone for a drive no blown fuse yet today. Wouldn't ya know it. Get time to fix an issue and the issue mysteriously won't repeat. Oh well. I'll leave the cover off for now. See if it starts to happen again.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update

With the column cover off since July I have yet to blow another fuse. Cover back on today. Now for a couple of drives to see if she blows again.
If not ..... it's a good thing. But won't know if it was the cover or something in the tranny sensor that unplugging and replugging somehow rectified.
Time will tell I hope
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.