rear main seal help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 08:28 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
rear main seal help

I'm ready to install my engine after oil pan replacement. I want to also replace the rear main seal while I'm into it. however the new seal fits loosly but also comes with a metal ring. do I need to do more dissassembly to install the new metal ring (race) , or do I have the wrong seal. Clarification appreciated, see pics
Attached Thumbnails
rear main seal help-20130629_001434.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2013, 01:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That is the right seal. You need a special driver to put that steel ring on. If the dealer has one they will let you borrow it usually. Its called a speedy sleeve. Its basically the new mating surface for the new seal. Since most of our trucks have a lot of miles the old seal will actually wear a little ring into the crankshaft.

BTW, how was it pulling the motor just to put s new oil pan on. Mine is leaking pretty good back by the starter but just not sure if I really want to do it.
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-29-2013, 03:30 AM

Thanks. So the new sleave fits over the existing? It appears the speedy sleave would fit over the existing surface. I wonder if i could install it with a block of wood and tap it on?

I'm sure others would tell you to check a few things before you pull the engine. Check for oil in the vally, check the oil rail plug, and that last bolt on the oilpan closest to the starter.
Pulling the engine wasn't terrible, it came right out. I removed everything in front of the engine, radiator, radiator support, etc. I did this for a couple reasons, first, my hoist would never have lifted it that high, second... I needed to fight all the rust in there. I used a two ton hoist and two ton engine stand from HF. Removing all the stuff up front was time consuming. Engine itself was straight forward.
Attached Thumbnails
rear main seal help-20130623_173920.jpg   rear main seal help-20130629_072625.jpg  
Old 06-29-2013, 03:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Yes. Speedy sleeve should fit right over. Well it will be a little bit of a press fit so it won't spin on the crank. A block of wood might not work since its pretty thin. Heat it up a bit but not hot enough to where it will change color (blue or gold). About 3-400F. No more than that.

I know all the normal spots for oil leaks. I pulled the flywheel inspection cover and can watch it drip right by the starter when running. Its just enough to not really ever have to change the oil but enough to annoy me. Lol. How long did it take you to pull the motor?

I guess once you have the core support out there really isn't much holding the engine in. TC, down pipe, motor mounts, a few wires.

Nice work BTW.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:30 AM

I appreciate the advice, thanks. I'm going to give it a shot using the heat.

It probably took me 14 or so hours to remove the front. I also took out the battery platforms to make it easier. Keep in mind that it was pretty rusty, I tried to save what I could but it faught me the whole way. Between the wrench, the grinder and the tourch, I got it appart. The engine itself took half a day by the time I disconnected everything. The transmission bolts up top required a little trickery but not bad. It came right out, turbo and all. There were some good intructions on this site.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:00 AM

Just to finish this thread, I used the flex plate spacer to press on the bushing and it worked like a charm. I also used red loctite as a lube and extra seal.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

:thumbup:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.